Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My daughter-in-law has bipolar disorder (Type 1) and is

My daughter-in-law has bipolar disorder (Type 1) and is currently taking Lithium and Paxil. She is also regularly smoking marijuana and drinking beer. She has two children ages 2 and 9. I am concerned about the level of care they are receiving. Can I contact her psychiatrist to let him know what is going on ? What do you recommend?
Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

You could provide information to a physician on a client. The physician would not confirm that they are seeing her unless she's given permission to do so.

Dr. Rossi :

It may be better to first talk to her as well as to your son about your concern.

Dr. Rossi :

There may be something that you could suggest to her. Try to find out if she is feeling stressed out, if she feels that her medication is not working well for her,etc.

Dr. Rossi :

It may be possible that she's self medicating w/ the drugs/alcohol.

Dr. Rossi :

Depending on your relationship w/ her and your son, there may be a trigger that is enabling her to do this. If your son is aware of her behavior, what is he doing to help her?

Customer:

We think she might be in a manic phase, but my son won't take any action. She is trying to convince him to quit his job, move to a new town and go on welfare. She was raised in a very dysfunctional environment and she wants to move in with her grandparents. We were considering contacting CAS, but do not want to jump the gun.

Dr. Rossi :

It is possible that a manic episode would cause her to make all of these plans. Do you know what is holding your son back from talking to her or even taking her to the hospital/or her MD?

Dr. Rossi :

Do you believe that the children are at least getting adequate care/attention by dad?

Dr. Rossi :

If she is not endangering herself or anyone else right now, you could try to resolve it within the family first.

Dr. Rossi :

If on the other hand you feel that you can't trust her judgement and that dad would remain passive, reporting this is then your obligation to ensure other's safety.

Dr. Rossi :

If she is truly manic, reasoning w/ her may be counterproductive.

Customer:

Thank you very much for the advice. I will have another talk with my son and hopefully we can move forward. This is an excellent resource!

You welcome Beth. Let me know if you need anything else. You may write for Dr.Rossi at start of a new post to get the info to my attention.