How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Norman M. Your Own Question
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Norman M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am contacting you because i think someone in my family needs

This answer was rated:

i am contacting you because i think someone in my family needs help can you help me
Can you tell me a bit more about the situation please, including what you think might be wrong?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the problem is with my soon to be brother in law who next year will marry my sister. he is living with my siter and my parents in their home and has been for a while fitting in to the family well, i have know him for a long time we went to school together. my mum aproached me yesterday shaking so i said what was wrong she sid she coudnt tell me at home and to meet her at work so i did she gave me a mobile phone belonging to him she said she found it hiden behind the toilet and the filming mode was switched on filming her going to the toilet and she asked me to look through the phone and deal with it. i have looked through the phone and found some disterbing videos of him filming my mum. what do i do has he got a mental issue can he be fixed for the sake of my sister no one else knows anything about this i have been swarn to secrecy i cant tell my sister it will destryher he is the love of her life i want to confront him but need some advice i.e does he need a good hiding and sending on his way, do i call the police , or do i reason with him and make him seek proffesional help.? kind regards ED

I'm really sorry to hear this. He clearly has sexual problems, and his voyeurism is NOT a good basis for a sound relationship.

I suggest you keep copies of the evidence if you can, and let him know that you are aware of what is going on. I'd be inclined to tell him too that you expect him to get professional help AND be honest about his issues with your sister. At this stage, she does not need to know about this, but sadly, if he does not come clean, then she does. Better now than when they are married, I'm afraid.
Norman M. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you