Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am a 60 year old female who has suffered from childhood

I am a 60 year...

I am a 60 year old female who has suffered from childhood trauma since my father passed away when I was 10 years old. I was the youngest and only child living at home when he passed and my mother's choices of discipline guilt and verbal abuse. As an adult, I have been the sibling that has tried to keep my family together, getting my brother and sister to keep in contact with my mother. Two years ago, my stepfather passed an I was the one to bring my mother, who was then 92, to live with me. When she passed in 2011, it was due to a series of incidents that occured. One being that I requested that her doctor place her in a rehab center for 20 days after she had a psychotic episode, so that they could place her on medication and I could have some time off from being the sole caregiver. Two days before I was to bring her home she fell and broke her leg. Within a week she passed. The quilt I am going through is sufficating. Obviously, there is a lot more that occurred prior to her passing and in the last 50 years, I should have gone to theripist a long time ago. I tried once, but did not feel I had a good rapport with her and never went back. Now, I get so upset when I try to talk directly to someone about this that I don't feel that I can go to see someone face to face at this time. So, my question is - Are there any therapist online, whose backgrounds I can trust and won't cost me a fortune, who I can contact and begin therapy with the hope of eventually going to someone in my area. I live in the outskirts of Houston, Texas. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

9/8/2012
DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

HI I am sorry that you have suffered from abuse.

DrFee :

I am wondering if cost is the reason that you want to start with online therapy?

DrFee :

If it is, I would recommend that you find a low cost clinic where you can start in-person.

DrFee :

On-line therapy can be helpful, but it tends to cost as much as in person, at least from what I've explored.

DrFee :

Do you have health insurance? That's another way to de-fray the cost of in person therapy.

DrFee :

The U. of Houston says they provide sliding scale therapy:

http://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/clinics/index.php

DrFee :

I'll wait until you respond to make further recommendations.

Customer:

Cost is part of it. I do have insurance, but it does have a high deductibe and I am disabled at this time. The main reason I want to begin online is I feel I will better be able to control my emotions and accomplish more in the beginning if I am not face to face with another individual. U of H is a good option after begin online.

DrFee :

OK --maybe let me take a minute and send you some online possibilities.

Customer:

Thank you - I'd appreciate any assistance or recommendations you could provide.

DrFee :

I know this person: does therapy by Skype:

(###) ###-####br/>Email***@******.***
Website http://www.journeychristianministries.org
DrFee :

I'm still looking

Customer:

Thank you

DrFee :

www.liveperson.com rates range from $20 per hour to $500 per hour according to their website.

DrFee :

Essentially --you want to know the qualifications, experience of the person that you are working with. Obviously a licensed professional has a certain level of training and experience, and there's some comfort in that, but there can be some excellent therapists who don't have those qualifications.

DrFee :

This one is free:

http://www.freecounselingonline.net/

DrFee :

It may not be personal, though --may just be informational, as I look at.

Customer:

Thank you for giving me a couple of places to begin. My main concern about doing this online has been finding someone that is qualified and not someone that is just trying to make money by scamming. I even took psychology courses in college in an attempt to understand myself due to my background.

DrFee :

Generally speaking the more qualified, the higher the cost.

Customer:

I understand. I really do appreciate the information you've given me. Thank you.

DrFee :

This I think is the same group as the "free" they have online support groups --29.95 per 500 word personal email I think

http://www.mytherapycouch.com/

DrFee :

which sounds expensive to me!

DrFee :

You are welcome!!

DrFee :

Also consider this person:

DrFee :

Erica Lewis http://ericalewisms.wix.com/erica-lewis-mfti#!contact

DrFee :

qualified and competent.

DrFee :

Let me know if you need further help!!

Customer:

I'll check into the sites and people you've given me. But, from talking with you, I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper and more beneficial to bite the bullet and find someone to talk to face to face. Thank you, again.

DrFee :

You're welcome. That's my opinion too. It can be very uncomfortable to start therapy and start to talk so personally, but that is an important part of the process.

Customer:

I appreciate your assistance. Have a nice day. Goodbye.

DrFee :

You are welcome. Take good care.

DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
DrFee
DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist