DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

What are the five major divisions of the brain and their

What are the five major divisions of the brain and their associated psychological functions?
Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.
I am wondering since you have a psych textbook, if you are experiencing some confusion about what information you already have? I will lay out the 5 divisions of the brain and you tell me what information you already have and what you might be lacking:
1 & 2. Diencephalon and Telencephalon: Both of these divisions lie in what's known as the forebrain. The Telencephalon is the largest part of the brain and controls our sensory perceptions, thoughts, and our ability to speak and our ability to interpret information that we receive.
The Diencephalon contains the hypothalamus. Among other things the hypothalamus regulates our "Fight or Flight" response (ability to deal with danger) and our sexual arousal/response systems.
3. Mesencephalon --This division is found in the mid-brain. It deals with our response to pain, and regulates our auditory and visual functioning.
4 & 5. Metencephalon and Myelencephalon --both are found in the hindbrain. They are responsible for fine motor skills such as balance, walking, etc. If there's a problem here, one might have a problem with involuntary muscle movement.
So those are the 5 divisions which I believe you were asking about. I know it can get confusing --since there's three main parts to the brain --forebrain, midbrain, and hindbrain. Each of these parts has parts: The forebrain consists of the cerebrum, thalamus, and hypothalamus (part of the limbic system). The midbrain consists of the tectum and tegmentum. The hindbrain has the cerebellum, pons and medulla. Often the midbrain, pons, and medulla are referred to together as the brainstem.
There's a lot more to the function of the various parts of the brain than what I've stated. Tell me if this answers your question or if you are confused, where you have gotten confused.
Regards,
Dr. Fee