TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Last night i had a mental attack. I had many suicidal

Last night i had a mental attack. I had many suicidal thoughts. What can i do?. Since i also have hiperthyrodisim i am thinking thats the reason.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Hyperthyroidism can cause many symptoms similar to anxiety and depression because of the imbalance in your system. Although having suicidal thoughts is not a direct symptom of hyperthyroidism, the stress you are under along with the depression can cause you to have trouble coping and as a result, you can feel suicidal.

You may want to talk with your doctor about adjusting your medications. If you are experiencing an increase in symptoms, you may have an imbalance. Hyperthyroidism is often the only cause of what you are experiencing and once it is treated, you may feel better. But keep in mind that sometimes even when your levels are normal, you may still feel down and have some symptoms.

Also, if you are feeling suicidal, it is a good idea to take those thoughts seriously. Once you have seen your doctor and have been cleared medically, you may want to consider talking with a therapist. Talking about your stressors can help. Talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

But checking out your health first is the best way to be sure. You do not want to treat your emotional health first only to find out that it was symptoms from the hyperthyroidism all along.

I hope this helps you,
Kate