Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

My daughter sufers from anxiety panic attacks and eating

Hi
My daughter sufers from anxiety panic attacks and eating disorder in which she has a fear of choking
i feel all the above have taken over her life she is 34 and has been suffering in silence since the age of 12 please advise whether she should see a physchiatrist or physcologist
thanks

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating and worrisome this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring parent and it is so unfortunate that the doctors have not helped you be more proactive in getting proper treatment for your daughter. This is truly very sad that she's been dealing with this since she was 12. That means you have also, and it must be very difficult.

There are two problems you've identified but we don't know which is causing which and if there is perhaps an underlying problem to them both: anxiety and panic disorder and eating disorder. We don't know if the fear of choking is a phobic reaction. And so we don't know if the phobic reaction is causing the eating disorder or if this is indeed an independent eating disorder. And we don't know if there is an obsessive compulsive disorder underneath the anxiety, panic and choking fear.

The common denominator here is that we don't know much more than we do know. Right? That means we need for her to get to a good diagnostician. I don't know to what extent you are at the mercy of Medicare or if you can get her to a private pay psychiatrist. I imagine psychiatrists are very expensive privately. But you need not just a psychiatrist who dispenses medication, you need an excellent diagnostician. So you probably will need to start with her gp and have a serious consultation about how to get her to some real diagnostic experts to actually determine with some degree of accuracy what treatment plan will be the most appropriate.

You see, more likely than not, she will need a combination of medications and behavioral treatment. Behavioral treatment means therapy. I don't know yet if this means therapy directed for pure eating disorders or anxiety disorders or for obsessive compulsive disorders. But the diagnostician will determine this.

If you need to go with Medicare for the psychiatric part, you might try the following organizations for the behavioral treatment. Here is an online therapist finder for Australia that I like because you can see a picture of the person and read about them a bit. So put in for the therapist either psychologist or a psychotherapist.

http://www.findatherapist.com.au/

The Australian Psychological Society has a search directory.

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/Default.aspx

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Hi, Amanda. I see you haven't responded yet to my answer. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on whether you thought my response was on target or if we need to continue with further clarification. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons.

Let me know,

Dr. Mark