How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Your question is very evocative that there is so much behind the simple few words you write. Have you always felt this way?

Can you describe in what way this is an obsession? Is it affecting your life? How?

Was there trauma or abuse in your childhood? What about alcohol or dysfunction in your family when you were growing up?

Are you interested in medications to help? Or self help techniques? Or psychotherapy?

Are you getting any treatment right now? If so, what type? How is it going?

If not, when was the last treatment? What type of treatment was it? Was it helpful?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

dr.mark. this is not me...truthfully. my mother just told me that she has proof that my 54 year old brother is in love with her. he has sent her explicit emails indicating he is love with her. and he exposed himself to her on vacation. let me tell you a liitle bit of his background. he has been married to same woman for over 30 years. he has been unemployed due to lay off , for abt 4 years. he seems happy in his marriage but does not have sexual relations with his wife in the past 4 years. my mother is very upset and don't know what to do , she is embarrased to talk to an exppert. also there is a language barier for her. i wish she did not tell me this. it is also affected me and how is persieve my brother now. but i am really worried abt my 75 year old mother. she is worried abt my brother if she cuts totall communicaations with him that he may do something drastic ...suicidal perhaps. i told her she needs to see some one to figure this out.. but she is confused why this it 2 personalities ? is it depression my brother has. ? please advise thank you

Thank you for the replies to the questions and the added information. It helps a lot in understanding what the situation is. I believe I can now be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how embarrassing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring son and a good brother. And this is a very abnormal situation. You have two choices here. One is to do nothing and the other is to get involved.

I don't know how to tell you which one to decide. Because this is very embarrassing and they are both adults. And you have the right to live your life. So if you choose to do nothing, you would need to continue to encourage your mother to take action by telling your brother to seek help. And that she can offer to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist with your brother to help him. But that is it. And then don't get any more involved.

If you choose to get involved because you are worried for your mother, then you will need to become more embarrassed. This is difficult, but you need to ask your mother to show you the emails he has sent. If she says she destroyed them, then you have to tell her you need to see the next ones he sends. Why?

I said this will be difficult and it is: you have to verify that your mother is not having delusions, that the problem is really with your brother. Your mother is older and she may be having her own problems that may be causing delusionary thoughts or misunderstandings. So you need to verify first who is having the problem here. Okay?

Once the problem is identified, if it is your brother, then you need to ask to see him personally and ask him to let you go with him to a psychologist or a psychiatrist to talk about the situation. Offer to go with him so it is not so scary to him. And then he will be in their care and he can get help.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you