Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states
20091856

For years ive had a poor attention span, get distracted

For years ive had a poor attention span , get distracted easily and unable to sit straight. Sometimes when Im alone I could zone out , an example was at a concert , I remember the first song and the last two, everything in between I have no recollection of , just zoned out. What could this be ?
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

I wonder if you had attention or concentration problems as a child. Sometimes, when this is the case it can develop into adult Attention Deficit Disorder. This can be characterized by poor attention, inability to concentrate and an inability to finish tasks. In adults, it is often under diagnosed, but exists and can be helped with medication. The usual treatment is a stimulant such as adderall or ritalin.
The other reason for poor attention span could be stress or depression. When people are depressed, they have a poor time concentrating and often do not enjoy things they have previously enjoyed ( such as going to a concert ). When people are extremely stressed and overwhelmed, at times their mind can just shut down in an effort to turn off the stimuli and re-group.
I hope some of these ideas are helpful,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply , found it very helpful,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply , found it very helpful, I have (and sometimes do) suffer from mild depression,

You are welcome.
Good luck,