How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For 3 yrs i have been diagnosed with panic anxiety disorder.

Customer Question

for 3 yrs i have been diagnosed with panic anxiety disorder. it feels like doom and all the good has left this world. and once there started they wont let up for 3 weeks.i have a behaviorl heath apt. in lawton ok. but thats 3 weeks away and i cant do this 3 more weeks. i do have a current dr. assesment wich clearly states all that is causing these panic attacks i can send the report to you asap please i cant do this any more thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Have you had a traumatic incident three years ago ?
Do you have any medical condition?
Do you have a support system in your area?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Did you send a message ?
I don't see your message here.
I'll work on my answer anyway...
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through.
It sounds like you have had anxiety and panic attacks for three years.
Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) and/or Panic Control therapy (PCT) will work for your condition.
Behavior therapy such as In vivo exposure with response prevention is considered to be the most effective treatment for panic disorder.
Also, cognitive therapy and breathing retraining are used.
So, you have an appointment with a behavior therapist in three weeks.
In the meantime, you may try Relaxation and Stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy to reduce anxiety and physical symptoms.
The book The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook by Dr.Davis et al., may be helpful to you.
You'll benefit from working with a therapist specializing in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) weekly for 3 months or longer.
If you have not found a psychotherapist/counselor that you can work with weekly, you can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychotherapist or a counselor on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety and panic attacks. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT).
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question. You can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions.
If you need a low fee counseling or have no health insurance, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Additionally, you may benefit from attending a support group for adults with anxiety or panic disorder. To find a group therapy or a support group, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with anxiety or panic disorder.
If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
If you are in crisis now, go to an emergency room of a local hospital immediately. Or, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Everyone's different, so finding the right medication or medications for him will likely take some trial and error. If you have side effects, you shouldn't stop taking an antidepressant without talking to your doctor first. Make sure you understand the risks of the various medications. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.
If the medication treatment doesn't seem to be working, your doctor may recommend a blood test to check for specific genes that affect how your body uses the medication.
I hope you get well.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards, ***** satisfied with my answer, please click the accept button for my work. You don’t get charged twice. Feel free to continue discussion even after accepting my answer. Thank you.