Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 50yr old women just diagnosed with ADHD. Today I

hello I am 50yr old...
hello I am 50yr old women just diagnosed with ADHD. Today I started Ritalin 10mg. I have anxiety..... I feel a bit more anxious/jittery, just took a Xanax. My GP would like me to d/c the Xanax. I have tried Wellbutrin in the past, made me crazy. Just wondering what is the best solution for ADHD with anxiety???? Should I be seeing someone other than a GP?? Why not just take Xanax. Seems when I not so anxious that the AdHD isn't as bad.
help
Christina
9/1/2012
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Hello and thank you for consulting Just Answer,

I am sorry that you are having these uncomfortable symptoms. They are complicated and so I will make a few observations and a recommendation.

The symptoms of ADHD can be caused by anxiety too. It does seem counter productive to take a psychostimulant like Ritalin along with an anti-anxiety med. Your doctor may want you off Xanax because it is so addictive. It is not unusual for Ritalin to make you feel jumpy until your body gets used to it (like too much caffeine). It is a short acting drug and will be out of your system in 4-5 hours (unless it is long-acting: LA).

The fact that Wellbutrin "made you crazy" should be taken into account when you are being diagnosed. This could be an indicator of another disorder.

Bot***** *****ne, you should see a psychiatrist to re-evaluate your diagnosis due to the complexity of your situation.

Warm regards,

Thank you for your info. My bad I guess my question wasnt clear . Then should my question have been answered by psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. Can you prescribe meds. I was looking for an answer to the question " What is the treatment for ADHD with anxiety?" There is no doubt that I have adhd I score extremely high on the test. I also have anxiety, have had panic attacks in the past. Have been taking Xanax for 25 yrs prn, still only take .5 before work maybe 2-5 times a week. Chantix made me nuts ,my mistake, wellbutrin did nothing at all. These where prescribed to help me quiet smoking(didnt work, but I did quiet later) What is recommended as far as meds for an adult with ADHD and anxiety???

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Hello Madam,

In a patient suffering from ADHD with anxiety, a combination of Ritalin with SSRI antidepressant can be tried.

As you are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since a very long time, you can ask your GP to prescribe you SSRI antidepressant Escitalopram (Lexapro) in a low dose strength of 5mg which can be increased to 10 mg after a week depending on the clinical response.

Lexapro being a SSRI antidepressant is the first line medicine for controlling anxiety and Panic attacks and can be taken together with Ritalin under your doctor supervision. It can effectively control your anxiety symptoms and should be taken at least for few months without any gap in between.

In my view, there is no harm in taking Xanax on as and when required basis but if your GP is totally against prescribing Xanax, you can request him or her to prescribe Clonazepam in a low dose strength of .25 mg to be taken on as and when required .

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is a long acting benzodiazepine in comparison to Xanax (Alprazolam) and can control anxiety symptoms for longer duration. It is also less addicting in comparison to Xanax.

Kind regards

Vikas

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

Do you have any other query to ask?

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist