Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states
20091856

I was diagnosed with Acute Bipolar I in January 2102, have

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Acute Bipolar I in January 2102, have been taking meds, seeing therapists, everythin I should, but my wife decided to see her own therapist who basically turned her towards separation as the way t deal with my new illness. Then, out of the blue I got a phone call from her mother offering her condolences regarding our marriage. I had a major manic episode which involved brandishing a knife for +/- 10 seconds, but no harm was ever done, nor would have. Now the love of my life has been turned totally against me to the point of getting a 2 year no contact order. We were the PERFECT couple, envied by so many, but like anyone had some days but of 5500, at least 5300 were the best. I am on the verge of ending it all as she is my life, but she won't look to another source of advice other than this "counsellor" with dubious credentials. Please help me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Pamela, LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your recent troubles. First of all, it must have been quite traumatic for you to get this diagnosis in January. I wonder if you have been able to get the education and support for yourself re this diagnosis that you need, aside from therapy. It may be helpful to contact the National Alliance of the Mentally ill. They provide several support groups and education for families. It would also likely be good for your wife to learn and understand more of what you are going through-it is unfortunate that you can not get that information to her. It may be possible to send her therapist a note with this suggestion.
So, you are facing two very traumatic events and losses right now, your illness and your marriage. I would venture to guess that your illness is not being treated as efficiently as possible. I wonder if it is possible for you to go to a teaching hospital, to get the latest treatment and possible be in a study to get treatment. It seems to me that you can not possibly begin to process your marital difficulties without having some mood stability. Clearly, you are still quite depressed and that needs to be dealt with asap. If you are able to connect with a local NAMI national alliance of the mentally ill, perhaps they could help give you some direction and support.
I hope this is helpful and wish you well,