How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

looking for an answer

This answer was rated:

was typing alot but my connection can be unstable ugh got alot on my mind at the moment also really buzzed from drinking which is not the best choice...been diagnosed with bipolar, depression and now anxeity from looking around online


I work regularly with mood and anxiety disorders and can help you with questions you have in these areas. Did you have some specific questions you wanted assistance with?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

alright you there?

Yes I'm here. How can I be of assistance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well now it seems i needed to vent been talking to my coworkers even my brother in law really wanted to get back on the medication for bipolar and depression but my coworker was hinting theres other ways but I really do when i looked around online EVEN thinking about seeking a therapist. going to see one when one when I make a appointment for meds. Short story is I have relationship problems and it tears at me everytime I try

Theres this girl i talk to but shes interested in someone else and feels all my "nice guy" efforts are for nothing but now i feel if i can achieve anything I really need to fix myself so i can get anything going with anyone because Ive notice I have anxiety when i talk to girls. To shy to say anything. And now I feel like crap because shes not interested in me so Im seriously thinking of getting back on my medications for biploar/depression because it was hard to keep the thoughts out of my head. Also been drinking but can still type and read to bear with me and thanks for hearing me out.

No problem Kyle. How long have you been off your medication and how long were you previously taking it? Also, what are you currently prescribed? Have you previously tried using a self-help program as a way of commencing therapy (and later consulting with a therapist if you decide it is needed)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ive been off at least 2-3 years and I think it was prozac (if thats how you spell it). Also what got me back into seeking help was a coworker as I helped him and I looked around also youtube on depression I may end up seeking that but seems medication is a thing to do at the moment

Ok. You mentioned both Depression and Bipolar Illness, have you received a formal diagnosis that specifies which one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

was just told both mild and after looking at a website seems like i have GAD and SAD since they both hit me well. My brother in law recommended the physicist and told me I am mild bipolar and depressed a few years ago

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Shouldve said this but I get thoughts of violence towards others and suicidal thoughts no attempts though thank god just it scares me to think like that was wondering if i need more then medication?

Ok, it sounds like your situation is quite complex. Using both medication and therapy is usually the most effective treatment for most mental health problems and if you are experiencing those distressing thoughts then my strong suggestion would be that you consult with a professional closely. First thing is first...who have you seen so far? A doctor? Psychiatrist? Psychologist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a doctor who I am going to see when i set up a appointment but will ask him if he knows any good psychiatrist or psychologist when I talk to him.

Ok good. If there is any possibility that you may have Bipolar Illness then it is very important that you do not start an antidepressant without first having seen a Psychiatrist. Antidepressants can make people with Bipolar Illness very sick so getting this part of the diagnosis right is of paramount importance. Your doctor will be a good referral source for the Psychiatrist but you may like to consider contacting the
American Psychology Association (APA) for assistance with locating a Psychologist; take a look at the APA locator service here. You can use this to find Psychologists in your area and there is a phone number you can contact if you want a referral arranged for you. Also, take a look at an article published by the APA here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist.

You've mentioned that a regular problem or just happens to be the situation a the moment (it happens)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I rarely ever drink pratically never for good reasons but just when i got depressed today it just hit me to get some liqour to make me feel numb i guess but when i wake up I will look at those sites will thank you for the assist but I should try to get some sleep and will comment on your help very helpful.

You are more than welcome Kyle. If I can ever be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

I hope you don't wake up with too much of a sore head!

Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

I hope you have had some luck arranging a referral to a Psychiatrist.

If I can be of further help, or if you ever have other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. You can do this by simply putting "For Dr John B" at the start of any question you post.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry for the late reply but ya I saw my physician and he put me back on my anti depressants and bipolar meds. As of now I've been on them for 3 weeks and doing better but going to seek a therapist to help me with my past thoughts that keeps coming up in my mind that brings sadness or rage out of me.