How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to find help for mydaughter who was sexually abused.

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to find help for mydaughter who was sexually abused. I talked to a therapist who uses EMDR treatment. It said on the internet that it is a controversial issue. What is your opinion?



At what age did the abuse take place? How old is your daughter now and is she willing to seek treatment?


EMDR is used primarily to recondition how a person recalls and event without the memories having a traumatic emotional/psychological reaction. Meaning, over time, a person can remember a situation but they won't respond to it as they may have done in the past. EMDR can be effective in reprogramming neural pathways like neurofeedback/biofeedback can.


In comparison to talk therapy, it may not take as many sessions. It would depend on what your daughter feels ready to do at this time. Talk therapy and EMDR can also be considered as a form of treatment together.


As far as emailing Dr. Phil, he is a media persona and is not someone who'd be offering therapy. There are EMDR qualified clinicians throughout the country as well as residential treatment centers (depending on your daughter's diagnosis and severity of symptoms) It would be helpful to consider getting in touch with a local clinician if your daughter would like to enter therapy and take it from there.




Dr. Rossi and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you