DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

I still havent been able to sleep properly since i last spoke

I still haven't been able to sleep properly since i last spoke with you. I tried getting a hypnosis CD and that helped temporarily but is now ineffective. I tried some of the breathing exercises and still nothing. I have also worked things out with my mum and we are now talking normally again so I'm sure that's not the problem. I also thought my insomnia may be down to me worrying about my exam results, but i just got them back today and done really well but couldn't take a nap. What can i do?

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

I am sorry to hear that you are still not sleeping!!!!

Let me ask you a few more questions:

1. Are you taking any medications or herbal supplements?

2. Can you describe to me in more detail what happens --meaning do you fall asleep OK and then wake up in the middle of the night or do you not get to sleep at all?

3. Remind me if you've been to the doctor recently.

Thanks --

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No i am not taking any medication or supplements. Well basically when i feel tired i try to go to sleep, i never can because it feels like I am always thinking of something and so just keep on tossing and turning for the whole night. Then before i know it, its early in the morning where i feel i am no longer able to fall asleep. No i have not been to see a doctor, but am going to schedeule an appointment tomorrow

That's good that you're going to see a doctor.

Have you tried writing down everything you can think of before going to sleep? I may have suggested that to you before, I realize. The purpose is to "dump" what's in your mind before trying to sleep.

The other thought is to get up and do something rather than tossing and turning. Sometimes that's better than staying in bed and you can make yourself more sleepy by getting up --have you tried reading?

However, it sounds to me like you might need to try sleep meds. so that you can at least get a rested, the more nights you go without sleeping the worse the problem will be.

Let me know what the doctor says.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i have tried writing down my thoughts. By sleep meds do you mean things like sleeping pills? last time i suggested that to my doctor they said that it's not recommended because its highly addictive and i have tried herbal remedies but they are useless.

p.s. i just realised that the doctors do not open on a weekend so i'm going to have to wait until Monday before i can see one.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

p.s. i just realised that the doctors do not open on a weekend so i'm going to have to wait until Monday before i can see one

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello!!

Thanks for your patience, I was away for the weekend.

I did mean sleeping pills, and yes, they can be addictive, however, if you have not been getting sleep for weeks, then it might be time to try them.

I'd also recommend Neurofeedback (www.eeginfo.com) as I've seen it help people who are suffering from insomnia.

Have you seen the doctor yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But pills are only a short term solution so i don't see how that will benefit me in the long run. My doctor said that i should continue to take these meds i've currently been taking. I'll give the website a look

My point is ---if you're not getting a good night's sleep, you need something to "break the pattern," and sleep medication can do that.

The question is whether you have short term or chronic insomnia --to be diagnosed with the latter, you have to not sleep at least 3 nights a week for one month's duration. It sounds like you may have reached that point?

The causes of insomnia are (and I know that you've already rued some of these out):

Short term:
Significant life stress (job loss or change, death of a loved one, divorce, moving)
Illness
Emotional or physical discomfort
Environmental factors like noise, light, or extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that interfere with sleep
Some medications (for example those used to treat colds, allergies, depression, high blood pressure, and asthma) may interfere with sleep
Interferences in normal sleep schedule (jet lag or switching from a day to night shift, for example)

Causes of chronic insomnia include:

Depression and/or anxiety
Chronic stress
Pain or discomfort at night
Some medications

So --again, I wonder if your current medication is causing it or if you have anxiety or depression.

What do you think?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay i see. Well I've only taken this medication
for only one night. Maybe it could be anxiety or depression
(even though I don't think that it is). What symptoms
do these involve? I want to find if I may be suffering
From eithe one.

Here are screening tests for all of the anxiety disorders and for depression:

http://www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/ask-and-learn/screenings

You don't need to take them all, maybe just the one for GAD and the one for depression.

Let me know how you come out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have taken the GAD test but how do i find out how i have done?

Why don't you tell me which questions you answered "yes" to. I know that they are not numbered, but let's just number them 1 -18
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay I answered yes to...3, 7, 9, 11 & 12 on the
GAD test
Ok, it looks like you are worrying a lot and have some depression, but it's not looking like you meet the criteria for GAD. Why don't you try the depression screening test too?

Is your worrying mainly about your inability to sleep?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe I am worrying about that, but I think I'm worrying
more about me ex-girlfriend and goin to university
as we are goin to the same one. However she has told me that
shes moved on from me but I still have feelings for her, but the fact
That we're going to ur same uni, I think is what's bothering me because
I don't know if I'll be able to move on or if she'll meet someone else
whilst we're there.

In the depression try I answered 'nearly everyday' to feeling tired
And not sleeping. I answered 'more han half the days' to feeling
Down

That's not a lot on the depression screening test either.

So, it could be that the situation with your ex-girlfriend is enough to keep you awake, trigger some anxiety and some depression, but most likely not to the extent that you would be diagnosed with a disorder in those areas.

My best advice is that you see a therapist and talk out the thoughts/feelings you have about your ex-girlfriend. If you are going to a University, they may have a counseling center that offers free or very low cost counseling. I think this is your "long term" solution. However, for the short term, I would follow whatever your doctor tells you, however, it is still unclear to me as to why they are hesitant to give you any sleep medication for the short term.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you for your help, and i think if the meds I'm taking now do not work then i will resort to sleeping pills.