How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5822
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 29 years old, male. For the last few years, I am having

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am 29 years old, male. For the last few years, I am having problem with my memory. This thing has become worse in the last 2 years. I used to have a very good memory. I want to see a doctor for this and want to know if I should see a 'psychiatrist' or a 'neurologist' for this issue.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you feel that your memory loss has nothing to do with any type of emotional issues like a recent trauma or depression, then a neurologist is the best doctor for you to see. You also may want to see a neurologist to rule out any possible physical cause for your memory loss. Anytime you have a physical symptom, it is always a good idea to have a physical cause ruled out first before considering a psychological reason for what you are experiencing. You don't want to be getting psychological treatment for a symptom that turns out to have physical cause.

I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you