KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I hVE BEEN TAKIING LORAZAPAM FOR 15 YEARS, AND AM UP TO 6 MG

I hVE BEEN TAKIING LORAZAPAM FOR 15 YEARS, AND AM UP TO 6 MG PER DAY. mY DOCTOR WILL NOT GIVE ME MORE, BUT MY BODY IS SCREAMING FOR IT. MY MUSCLES ARE I PAIN. I GET UP HURTING AND UNLESS i TAKE A REALLY STRONG PAIN MEDICATION WITH CRAZY SIDE EFFECTS, I HURT ALL DAY AND NIGHT. i'M UNSTEADY ON MY FEET AND AFRAID OF FALLING. I AM 69 YEARS OLD. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I CAN TAKE TO MAKE ME FEEL NORMAL AGAIN? I HADTO STOP MY YOGA LESSONS BECAUSE MY MUSCLES FEEL TWISTED, AND I HURT EVEN MORE.
MY DOOCTOR DOESN'T KNOW, BUT I AM TAKING 8 MG OF LORAZAPAM AT NIGHT AND 6 IN THE MORNING FOR THRE DAYS AND i FEEL FINE.
i WILL HAVE TO TELL HER BECAUSE MY PRESCRIPTION WILL RUN OUT TOO SOON. dO i NEED TO FIND ANOTHER PSYCHIATRIST WHO UNDERSTANDS? THIS ALL STARTED WHEN I WENT INTO THE MENOPAUSE, ALONG WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND ANXIETY. I'M STILL WORKING, AND MY JOB REQUIRES THAT I TRAIN GROUPS OF PEOPLE AT ONCE AND I JUST CAN'T LOOK LIKE I'M LOOSING MY MIND. HEL
I understand that this probably isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I will say it anyway. Lorazepam and the rest of that class of drugs causes physical dependence. Your body is responding to the withdrawal of the medication. The dose you are currently taking is quite high. This happened because as part of the physical addiction, you body needed more and more to get the same effect. Your psychiatrist and many others are trying to get their patients off of this medication and usually will move them to an antidepressant which is now the standard of care for anxiety. Having said that much, I will add that it isn't reasonable, or even a good idea to just quit Lorazepam. You should be tapered off and at the same time be started on an antidepressant. Hopefully, your psychiatrist will work with you on this. If not, yes, you should go to a different psychiatrist who will help you.