How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5838
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend has major depression. She is going through a

This answer was rated:

My friend has major depression. She is going through a divorse and has lost everything. She has lost 30 pounds in 4 months, are extremely weak to the point of not being able to walk, unable to feel joy, no appetite, cries all the time, thankfully not suicidal, simply want to get her energy back and get back to life.
She is spiritually strong and have people to take care of her but need some medication such as a NDRI to help her recover. Are you able to describe something like this?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Are you asking if Just Answer experts prescribe medication?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry, but no one is allowed to prescribe medications on line. Any doctor or psychiatrist must see the patient in person. You may be able to buy your medications on line once a doctor sees you and prescribes, but otherwise you must see the doctor face to face. A doctor could lose their license for prescribing without seeing a patient face to face.

It sounds like your friend might need to be hospitalized. Anytime someone loses that much weight in such a short period of time, their health can be in danger. Also, she appears to have moderate to severe symptoms of depression. If you can, see if she is willing to go to the hospital for admittance. They can do an evaluation and determine if she needs admitted. If not, they may be able to refer her somewhere so she can get help quickly.


TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything that you can advice to help her - she does not have medical insurance and cannot afford to go to hospital

She can go through community mental health for assistance. They offer help from therapy to medications on a siding fee scale. She may also want to contact the hospital and see if they will take her anyway. They may help her apply for assistance. And try the United Way. They have a list of all the agencies that can help and may know ones that can help her for a very low cost or at no cost.

She can work on her depression through self help as well, though I would not recommend that based on her physical condition. Here are some resources that may help:


May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or more stars? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!