How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son nlaw is having an issue with dealing with stress he

This answer was rated:

my son nlaw is having an issue with dealing with stress he has to constantly eat. He doesnt pay the bills because he spends so much money on this, he needs to get therapy. But he has caused such a money issue he cant pay for the therapy, can you suggest a therapist in Phoenix
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your son in law's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Does he have a health insurance that may cover psychotherapy/counseling ?
Does he live in Phoenix, AZ?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He does have insurance but I don't know if it covers psych issues. He does live in Phoenix
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like your son in law is using food to handle stress and numb his anxiety as he constantly eats and can't pay his bills.
I agree: he'll be benefit from working with a psychotherapist to express and process his feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for stress, anxiety and addiction.
He may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that he can work with weekly. Or he may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
If he has no health insurance or needs low cost treatment/counseling, he may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in his area in which he can get counseling for a low fee or free without a health insurance.
Or, he can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website.
I checked a list of psychotherapists specializing in anxiety and addiction. Here is the link:
Or he may find a therapist on his own - Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety or addiction. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So he can see it as an informational meeting. He can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
I hope he gets all available help.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information, it was extremely helpful. I will start looking for a therapist locally to assist him
You are very welcome.
Feel free to ask me any question later if you have a question.
All the best,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions