Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

constant tension back of head and sometimes behind ears,eyes

constant tension back of head and sometimes behind ears,eyes burn,hard to relax,at times head feels blocked not zoned in,self talk,lips tingle,face warms up,at times slight disorientaion.

NormanM :

Hello, I'm Norman. Are you ready to chat?

NormanM :

Just type when you are ready

NormanM :

Can you tell me what your diagnosis is, what medication you are currently taking, and how much?

Customer:

Hi Norman,

Customer:

I'm not on any medication at present

Customer:

in the past I have taken Lexapro, 12months, efexor for 12months.

NormanM :

Have you had any treatment other than medication?

Customer:

no

NormanM :

How long have your present symptoms been going on?

Customer:

approximately 5 years, but got worst in the last 12months

NormanM :

OK. I think the first thing you need to do is to see your Doc. Primarily just to be absolutely sure that ther is no physical cause present

NormanM :

Then, once that has been tuled out, you may well have to go back on to some medication

NormanM :

Hovere medication alone is NOT the complete answer.

NormanM :

A combination of medication and psychotherapy is usually much more effective. What do you think?

Customer:

Do you think my symptoms relate more to anxiety or depression?

NormanM :

On the face of it, there is a strong component of anxiety, and of course that often goes hand-in-hand with depression, so it's worth having it checked out

NormanM :

I’m going to suggest that you would benefit from some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also causes the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

NormanM :

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful

NormanM :

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Customer:

who provides these services CBT?

NormanM :

A CBT Therapist, wo is normally a specially trained psychotherapist or psychologist.

NormanM :

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

Customer:

Thanks for your help, if have any further question can I get back to you?

NormanM :

Of course you can. Glad to be of assistance