Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

In Layman's terms, what is Neuro-linguistic programming?

8/7/2012
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi :

Customer:

Hello.

Dr. Rossi :

It is a form of therapy if you will targeting the reprogramming of those patterns that may have been unhealthy in the client's life.

Dr. Rossi :

It targets changes in thinking, behavior and in how one views past memories when it comes to how they relate to his current problems

Dr. Rossi :

NLP is can to some resemble hypnosis but it does not involve one having to be "under hypnosis"

Dr. Rossi :

There are multiple techniques used to evoke changes in the client.

Dr. Rossi :

These techniques are based on Kinestetic, Auditory and Visual stimulation of the client's mind

Dr. Rossi :

Do you have a specific concern about NLP?

Dr. Rossi :

It is quite effective

Dr. Rossi :

And short term therapy versus traditional counseling

Customer:

Can you provide an example of someone using NLP?

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, For example - a person who fears driving

Dr. Rossi :

NLP would be used to reprogram this person's fears to where they no longer are fears/obstacles

Customer:

How so?

Dr. Rossi :

One technique could be asking the client to imagine onself in a movie theater observing themselves driving onto the movie screen

Dr. Rossi :

Another would be imagining oneself being behind the projectors station

Dr. Rossi :

A following one would be imagining oneself driving but in the role of the actor on the screen

Dr. Rossi :

And lastly, the person would be asked to mentally put oneself in the role of driving their own car

Dr. Rossi :

By doing this, the client starts to reshape their view of driving and thus address/manage their fear

Customer:

You would think people do that already, how would putting yourself in the role of driving a car (something you are afraid to do) rid the fear of driving?

Dr. Rossi :

Which, they become to understand is unreasonable

Dr. Rossi :

and a hindrance

Dr. Rossi :

Because it is all done on the mental level with the guidance of the NLP clinician and while guiding the client in this, the client starts to experience different physiological and psychological associations

Dr. Rossi :

It is like EMDR used in PTSD patients

Customer:

We are getting out of layman's terms here...

Dr. Rossi :

The brain can't distiquish b/w true and false statements

Dr. Rossi :

Meaning, when the person mentally experience onself driving w/o being anxious, the brain adopts that as true- driving= absence of fear

Customer:

So you change the programming of the brain (ridding the fear) by thinking of positive (or at least non-negative) experiences?

Dr. Rossi :

Yes

Dr. Rossi :

Correct

Dr. Rossi :

You change how the brain views the situation

Dr. Rossi :

Like in autosuggestion but the client does it volitionally

Customer:

Can NLP also be a form a learning? i.e. not necessarily changing an experience in the brain

Dr. Rossi :

Like what?

Customer:

Can you maybe provide another example?

Dr. Rossi :

NLP can be helpful in understanding not only about one's behavior but that of others.

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, just a sec

Dr. Rossi :

For example, a person who is more of a visual learner would be given directives where he is visually stimulated. Example- the person is told to picture things in detail in a certain scenario. If you're working with someone who is an auditory learner, you can use that by asking them to "hear" But, if you want to incorporate all of these - auditory, visual and kinestetic forms of experiencing one's environment, the person can learn to apply those in their life as well

Customer:

what is kinestetic?

Dr. Rossi :

Physical as in body movement

Customer:

and if you are a visual leaner, and all of the sudden start incorporating auditory learning in your life, how is that going to all of the sudden make someone an auditory learner?

Dr. Rossi :

A person who's going to apply the auditory learning may be asked to study while listening to a particular sort of music. This was widely done by the therapist Lozanov

Dr. Rossi :

And now called the Mozart effect but I'd like to think it's different

Dr. Rossi :

It is like the brain making associations and mapping the reaction of the individual

Dr. Rossi :

Or rather the new reaction

Customer:

But if you are a visual learner, you are just that. If you start incorporating music, your brain will just change and you will then become an auditory learner as well?

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, you can use more than one of these. It generally is said that one is predominant but you can utilze all 3 modes of learning at any given time. NLP can allow the person to become more active in doing so

Dr. Rossi :

for their benefit

Customer:

gotcha

Dr. Rossi :

I'd like to say that you can think of NLP like hypnosis without the trance state

Customer:

So you are incorporating music into your studies and therefore should start to retain more?

Dr. Rossi :

Yes, the right form of music. For example, there is music/MP3 files that stimulate the Gamma brain waves of the brain (associated with concentration/focus)

Dr. Rossi :

Or, if the person is anxious about tests/performance, they can use that music that stimulates the Alpha brain waves in the brain

Dr. Rossi :

to evoke relaxation

Dr. Rossi :

Thus, the brain mapps a different way of handling things that initially were problematic in the person's life

Dr. Rossi :

Hence NLP for the neurolinquistic programming of the individual

Dr. Rossi :

Anythign else I could assist you with?

Dr. Rossi :

Not sure if you're still online. Feel free to reply.

Can you explain the examples about the person in the movie theatre. i don't fully understand the part about them driving "onto the movie screen"

A person imagines that they are the actor they observe who is driving (seeing that onto the movie scree in their mind's eye) Thus, there is a disassociation b/w oneself and the fear of driving (since they're only an observer in this scenario)

There is no emotional reaction at this moment since it is in their mind "make belief" Yet, the brain registers driving without fear.

The goal w/ NLP is for the brain to start using new neural pathways. It does not usually take a single session to do that. In the example of driving phobia/fear, it may take 8-12 sessions depending on the progress of the client.
This is the part I was confused with:

Maybe it was the wording. Mean to be- they imagine themselves as though they're the actor who's driving and watching oneself on the screen.
Last question, and this one?

that is another stage where the person is empowered to observe the initially feared situation but this time, they're in control of the projected scene. They can move it faster, slower or pause it as well as rewind it. While doing so mentally, they can move through a whole set of situations that they were fearful of and see/realize that they're in control of the situation from start to finish.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist