Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

How can an adult overcome the intimacy issues, from a rape

How can an adult overcome the intimacy issues , from a rape at early age in life?
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this issue of unresolved intimacy issues as a result of being raped in early life.

Bill :

The following link will provide detailed information about how to get help for the problem and contact for doing so.

Bill :

I trust that the link and information provide will help you.

Bill :

These issues related to intimacy or common among abuse survivors and the essential factor is getting to a therapist that is trained in dealing with abuse trauma.

Bill :

Information on getting in contact with a therapist in your area is provided at the above link.

Bill :

My best to you at this most difficult time.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating as it is the only way I receive credit for my time

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your info. I was raped at age 5, by older brother who was 14. I do remember the day very vividly. A very specific day. My younger brothers birthday, Jan 11, 1982. Older bro was supposed to be babysitting me, while parents were at hospital having baby. I had very vivid flashbacks for awhile and was seeig therapist, who sent me to have some sort of hypnosis, i think emf?. it helped with the flashbacks but now i am happily married and have trouble iniating, the intimacy with my husband.
Hello-
Thank you for the additional information and I am so sorry this happened to you and having worked with survivors of sexual abuse I can without reservation say that you have to get back into therapy with someone trained in helping survivors in order to get through this and move on to enjoying intimacy in your marriage.
Otherwise, the repressed memories and feelings with continue to invade and interrupt your capacity for a mutually satisfying relationship with your husband.
Use this link to find Experts in your geographic area that can help you.
http://centers.rainn.org/
Additional information and support can be found here:
http://www.ascasupport.org/
I wish you the very best at and hope that this will help you on track toward recovering from this trauma in your life.
Best regards, Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know it didnt help i kept this secret for 23 years, and then i didnt even tell parents, for another 4 years.
Hi- You are most welcome.
Don't blame yourself. It is the shame associated with the abuse that kept you silent. You were a child.
This is very common among those who have been abused. Shame and blaming self.
This book will help you:
"The Courage to Heal 4e: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse" 20th Anniversary Edition
By
Ellen Bass
It is available online or at any large bookstore.
Best, Bill
Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As a wife of an army soldier, i understand that military individuals deal with so much, especially if they have been deployed for any amount of time. My husband before we got together had been deployed to iraq, and was i germany for some time. Since his deployment he has been diagnosed with ptsd, and anger problems. He sees a therapist, but not sure how good it is working. He still has nightmares, has an addiction to call of duty games on the xbox, and yells alot during his playn of video games. Any suggestions on how i can help him deal with this. It affects me, and my mental state. I have been diagnosed in past with bi polar, and one day just quit taking meds, i have learnned to deal with my issues, but when he yells so much it brings out a violent person in me.

Hi-
I would strongly suggest that you get involved with the support offered through Depression and BiPolar Alliance:
http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home
This is an excellent organization for you and your husband.
I also suggest that you see the following link from Harvard University Medical that addresses supporting someone with BiPolar Illness:
http://helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_family_friends_support.htm
A lot of support and resource information above.
I trust this will help and wish you the very best.
Bill
Please leave positive rating so that I receive credit for my time and expertise.
Thank you and have a great day!
-You will have a complete copy of this chat in email- with links-
If you wish to work with me again, Preface question with : “FOR BILL LCSW”