Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My deaf sister is severely depressed and cannot describe her

emotions and says very little...
My deaf sister is severely depressed and cannot describe her emotions and says very little. Even her flat facial expression gives no clue of what to even tell the Dr with use of an interpreter. This has been getting progressively worse for over 2 years. Please offer any suggestions. She is only getting worse week by week and prefers seclusion from the world.
8/2/2012
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I strongly urge you to bring your sister to another doctor, preferably a psychiatrist. Shs is being over-medicated. She apparently has some depression but she is being given two different antidepressants, Zoloft and Remeron. Combining these two is considered risky because combining two seretonergic agents can risk developing serotonin syndrome which can cause a host of physical symptoms as well as mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucination, and coma.

Haldol is a typical (original class) antipsychotic that can CAUSE severe depression, serious enough to be suicidal. In the old Soviet Union, halperidol (Haldol) was use for punishment, or just to break the prisoners' wills.

Do not have her quit any of her medications abruptly. This is dangerous. She must be weaned off very slowly. That is why I urge you to take her to a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

I wish her, and all of your family, courage, wisdom, and strength.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Dear *****,

Thank you so much for your generosity and kind rating. I wish the very best for your siater and all of your family.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist