Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 23 and feel completely lost as to what I'm going to do

I am 23 and...
I am 23 and feel completely lost as to what I'm going to do for a career
8/1/2012
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Choosing a career involves several important elements:

1) Your interests

2) Your aptitudes

3) Difficulty, time, and costs for training or education

4) The job market. If you get the training, will there be work for you?

The first thing to do is to take the a Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator to check out your best career options. They are very helpful If you went to an expensive career counselor they would give you the same tests.

Here's what a MBTI Career report would like like (sample report):

https://www.cpp.com/Pdfs/smp262153.pdf

You can do this test online for $49.00. It is worth the price.

http://www.personalitydesk.com/product/mbti-career-planning

As part of my license and training, I also do career counseling. Meyer Briggs is one of the top personality and career guidance tests available. It will certainly point the way for you, and is a small investment. This test is availabe for the same price at a few other sites as well. It is the same test and you will get the same results

Once you get some ideas, go to this US government site from the Bureau of Labor and look at this list of all occupations. Each one will have massive statistics as to where the labor force is, hourly and yearly wages, percentage of people with jobs, and so on.

Everything is listed here, and everything you want to or need to know.

I think you have enough information to start narrowing things down. There is a lot to learn about yourself, and then about what careers you might find interesting are actually good choices for you.

It's time to start exploring your interests and moving ahead with your life.

I wish you the very best in your quest.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Thank you for that. I have taken the Campbell Interest and Skill Test and it showed that I was very high in the creating, helping, adventuring and producing orientations. Medical practice, Fitness trainer, International Activities and Animal Care are things that it lead me to. The problem with me is that I am so indecisive. I already have my associate of arts degree but it took me 4 years to get it and that makes me feel a little embarrassed that it took so long.
I recently enrolled to UH for Health Education but It's going to take me 4 years or more to finish there. I have a minimum wage job and I really want to move out of my grandma's house but I have nearly enough money so I was thinking of taking a 3 month Dental Assistant course so that I can start making better money sooner. This means I will most likely have to drop out of University of Houston, and this would be upsetting to my family because they expected me to start going this fall. I'm in a rut. Should I try out Dental Assisting or just pursue my college career full time?
Dear Denise,

You can take a leave of absence at UH, while you take your Dental Assistant Course. Before you do so, make sure that there are jobs around and that the field is not overwhelmed with unemployed Dental Assistants. If it looks good, get a job, feel independent, and work and go to school part time.

There is no shame in taking a long time to get an education or establish a career,. Whatever course you take at UH or elsewhere, make sure that it will lead to a paying job and not just to a diploma in a frame.

I urge you to take the DA course and put the other on hold.

If I have helped you, please leave me some positive feedback so that JustAnswer can acknowledge me for my work. This is what I do for a living. Thank you so much.

I wish you great success with your short term AND long term plans. Get some skill training and a job first, and then take the next step when you are ready.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
I really appreciate your response thank you. I just have one more question and I will gladly move on and not bother you anymore. It's just something that has really been frustrating me.
My best friend (guy) and I have been hanging out since we met back in spring. We are really close and after a random drunken hookup he confessed he liked me and I did as well. That little romance didn't last long however because we don't want to just be friends with benefits. We both feel like sex is something to be enjoyed with someone you really love. But there is this girl he believes is his soulmate that he is in love with. She however doesn't like him and already asked him to leave her a lone, so he has, but he continues to have these really deep spiritual dreams about her. He is so hot and cold with me. One minute he'll want me and then he tries to set me up with a really nice guy that I'm not into. I just don't know what to do anymore. I love hanging out with him but I feel like I can't handle it sometimes because I want to be closer than friends. Please help me.
Dear Denise,

I will be happy to give you a response to this second question. Please don't just leave me alone, however, I would ask that you give me positive feedback for my help so that JustAnswer can acknowledge me for my work. I do this for a living. Thank you so much.

Your best friend does not think that YOU are his soul mate, but another woman who won't even give him the time of day. He likes you, but you are, as a you said, a friend with benefits. He doesn't want more but you do. He doesn't want an exclusive relationship with you and doesn't even care if he "shares" you with his friends.

When you get into hooking up and one of you falls in love, then it is a painful situation if the one you love doesn't care about you beyond the casual level. If this casual relationship is too hurtful for you, then by all means move on to something that satisfies deeper emotional needs. It depends on what you want, but it seems, from what you say, that you want more.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Dear Denise,

Thank you so much for accepting my answer and giving me positive feedback.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist