Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My daughter just started taking Zoloft and she is experiencing

My daughter just started taking Zoloft and she is experiencing jitteriness and headaches. She started with 25 mg and has taken 50 mg for 2 days. Will these side effects dissipate over time?
Hello Madam,

Could you please mention her diagnosis for which she is taking this medicine?

Is she experiencing headache for the first time after taking this medicine?

Is she also taking any other medicine?

Thanks

Vikas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is taking this medication for depression and anxiety. She has been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 7 months. She has had headaches before but this one in particular is severe and seems to coincide with the medication. Also, she is taking Yaz birth control (for a year now). She is 20.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, She is taking this medication for depression and anxiety. She has been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 7 months. She has had headaches before but this one in particular is severe and seems to coincide with the medication. Also, she is taking Yaz birth control (for a year now). She is 20.
Hello Debbie,

Thanks for your reply. Most likely she is experiencing the side effect of Zoloft which should go away within a week or two.

Zoloft is an excellent antidepressant and antianxiety medicine and is usually well tolerated by most patients but it is a SSRI antidepressant and all SSRI antidepressant may initially worsen the anxiety part before start showing their effect on depression and anxiety symptoms.

To control the initial anxiety which can be worsen by Zoloft during the early phase of treatment we usually add a low dose of clonazepam along with the Sertraline (Zoloft).

You can ask her doctor to prescribe her .25 or .5 mg of Clonazepam to be taken once a day or twice daily and this combination should be very useful in controlling the initial anxiety. She should notice a great improvement in her depressive symptoms within 10-15 days of starting the treatment.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Vikas
Hello Debbie,

Do you have any other query.

If you are satisfied with the answer please rate my answer so that I can be credited for my services. If you want to discuss further please feel free to ask.

Kind regards

Vikas