How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died in April this year. Since then I have found

Customer Question

My father died in April this year. Since then I have found myself severely depressed, anxious, paranoid about being sick / dying, and overall just feeling like I am losing my mind? Is this normal?

The worst part are the physical symptoms I am also having: rashes, exhaustion, headaches. I just want to make sure these can be symptoms of stress and/or grief.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear about loss of your father.
It sounds like you have symptoms of depression and anxiety.
Your current condition may be indicative of Bereavement-related depression and anxiety.
It's common for people to fall into Bereavement-related depression after losing their loved one. Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression. You are also experiencing physical symptoms of anxiety as well.
YES, it's normal. I've worked with adult clients who lost their parent and fell into severe depression and anxiety. They felt better or recovered from Bereavement-related depression via grief counseling.
But, you need lots of support and help from family and/or friends, and a grief counselor.
I would also advise you to start GREIF COUNSELING. Talk to your family and get help for your counseling weekly.
You may ask your doctor for a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist specializing in Grief/Bereavement that you can work with weekly.
Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as loss and grief. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in grief counseling or Bereavement. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? You may decide who you want to work with after talking to therapists.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for young adults with loss of a family member or the loved one in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with loss of the loved one. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
It may take a year or longer for you to feel normal again even with Grief counseling. But, you will. I hope you get help from a psychotherapist, family and friends for you.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much. Grieving is such a lonely process, I am glad to know I am not going crazy.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
You are welcome.
I can imagine how sad and anxious you must be feeling about loss of your father. You are going to be fine with help and support from your family, friends, and a grief counselor. Don't be alone.
All the best to you,