How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KansasTherapist Your Own Question
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 566
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
KansasTherapist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a raging alcoholic; she has been to rehab

This answer was rated:

My daughter is a raging alcoholic; she has been to rehab twice and failed both times upon release. The problem is, she suffers from chronic depression; which combined with tha alcohol abuse has her suicidal. She called last night (lives 1500 miles away) and has tried to kill herself by taking an entire prescription of Ambien, then tried again with an entire prescription of Prozac. Now she is thinking about going to the next door neighbors house while she's away and getting her gun. She currently lives with her father who has tried everything possible to get her off the alcohol, as he says when she's sober the suicide talk dies down. The rehab center she was in did not treat mental illness and I believe this deep depression is contributing to her inability to recover. She has no insurance currently as she lost her job due to drinking and we are not rich enough to pay for a private center. Her dad is not taking her suicide talk seriously, but I am. She says she doesn't want to live anymore because her life is hell on earth and she can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. She does not believe she will ever be happy again. That being said, her depression began during puberty and has been an ongoing problem for years. My thinking is to get her into a inpatient mental health facility a.s.a.p. but her father thinks she should fly out to my house for about a month for a change of scenery and get a fresh start. I feel if we do not get to the root of the problem, it will never get better and that would just be a stop gap to come visit me. I am willing to do anything to help my daughter but don't know what the best thing is. Can you help me?
KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : It seems you have a better idea of what your daughter needs than her father does.
KansasTherapist : Having attempted suicide twice, it appears that she's doing more than talking.
KansasTherapist : And she currently has a plan to attemp again with a gun.
KansasTherapist : I don't thing moving in with you is an answer in itself but you would likely be able to invent more successfully if she's with you.
KansasTherapist : Intervene, not invent.
KansasTherapist : Do you know how to access the community mental health sevices where you live?

I too suffer from depression; he does not. I understand how she feels and I believe she is credible. She hates herself for what she is doing to herself and the people that love her and can see no way out


KansasTherapist : It seems like the system is having problems
KansasTherapist : If I switch to Q&A mode it usually fixes it.
I can help you get information on how to contact community mental health. You can tell them she needs dual diagnosis treatment, mental health and substance abuse.
KansasTherapist and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you .....I would appreciate that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you .....I would appreciate that. Don't you think she would have a better chance of receiving help in the state she lives in as opposed to a non resident? I would appreciate any and all contact info you could provide
As soon as she moves to your house she would become a resident. If she needs proof, have a piece of mail sent to her at your address.
What state and county do you live in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Maricopa County, Goodyear AZ. Info for Clay County Arkansas would also be appreciated

The number to access services from Mariposa Behavioral Health Services is 1-***-***-****.
For Clay county, Arkansas
Corning, Arkansas 72422
Phone(###) ###-####
I hope things are going well