Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

1. is a bright student but he procrastinates. He puts off

Customer Question
1. Paul is a...
1. Paul is a bright student but he procrastinates. He puts off writing his case studies and gets incompletes, which eventually become F's. After exploring his early memories, Paul comes to the insight that he procrastinates as a way of expressing anger toward his parents. The treatment method used to help Paul deal with his problem is:
psychodynamic therapy.
behavior therapy.
cognitive therapy.
humanist therapy.
2. Regan is Irish-American and her therapist is familiar with Irish cultural patterns. When Regan expresses an intense feeling of inner guilt, her therapist responds:
by suggesting that she keep a behavior log to determine the cause of this inner guilt.
by asking her to free associate to other situations that led to this feeling.
by helping her tolerate this inner guilt rather than trying to get rid of it.
by challenging her statement and explaining why it is irrational to feel guilty.
3. Tracey talks to her pet elephant, which no one else can see. Tracey is having a:
hallucination.
delusion.
clang association.
neologism.
4. Will's depression is being treated through a procedure in which electrodes are placed on both sides of his head and a brief current is turned on. The current triggers a seizure that lasts about a minute, causing his body to convulse. His treatment is known as:
SSRI.
MAO.
ECT.
PET.
5. Because Kendu believes that he is possessed by a spirit, he often shouts and laughs loudly while banging his head, crying, and withdrawing from others. Which of the following is the name of his problem?
Dhat
Ghost sickness
Amok
Zar
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/29/2012
Mental Health Professional: DrFee, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

1. The description of Paul gaining "insight" leads me to believe that the question is attempting to describe psychodynamic therapy. Simplistically stated, Psychodynamic therapy would focus on early memories, etc. to gain "insight" into current difficulties.

2. None of the answers seem quite right:

1. A behavior log would not be an efficient way to find the reason for her guilt, rather it would help her identify under what situations that she does feel guilty.

2. Free associating regarding other situations that led to this feeling is another way of

3. finding out what situations that she feels guilty in --so it's similar to a 'behavior log"

4.Tolerating the guilt sounds silly --you don't even know what it's about!

5. No good therapist tells their client that their thoughts are irrational!!!

The real answer is that you/the client need to understand what is behind the guilt. #2 comes closest to achieving this task, but it may be unnessary to talk about "other situations," probably talking about the guilt itself will lead to a lot of clues as to what it's about.

3. A question without enough information! If Tracy is a child, she may be perfectly normal with a great imagination, talking to her pet elephant. If Tracy is a 25 year old woman and see an elephant that she talks to, well, then she is having a hallucination.

4. ECT --electroconvulsive therapy.

SSRI is a type of antidepressant, as is MAO, PET is a scan

5. Hmmm...Ghost Sickness seems to fit 'best" but does not fit exactly --because Ghost Sickness is a form of psychosis that has been seen in the Navajo community.

Dhat pertains to premature ejaculation among Native Americans

Amok refers to mania around murder in some Asian cultures

Zar --does not appear to describe a mental disorder

The symptoms of Ghost Sickness include terror, nightmares, feeling of suffocation, weakness, loss of appetite --so they don't fit what the vignette describes, but they are closer than any of the other choices.

Please follow up if you need to --

Regards.

DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
I'm not sure, but it looks like you might have requested a refund. If that's true, please know that I'd be happy to assist you further until you have a satisfactory answer. Just respond to my last post with your clarification questions and I'll respond to you.
Take good care,
Dr. Fee
DrFee
DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist