TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate. What are the most important things to consider when

Hello Kate. What are the most important things to consider when trying to narrow down books on a subject? Should I first look at the authors credentials, then look to see if he or she has at least 3 books out on the subject of religion and spirituality. Then look at reviews and best seller rank last? The books I am looking for are about being a new christian. There are so many books on this subject and I narrowed it down to 16. There are reviews at amazon.com, but I don't know other good sources for reviews where I will find these books. There are speciality bookstores like christianbookstores.net and christianbook.com. If the author is not in the book search engine of these stores, is it best to avoid that book and look at an author who is listed there in one of these speciality stores? At google books it has a feature other related books on this subject. If there are no related books I see of interest, then I should avoid buying this book would you agree? Thank you Kate.
Dr. Rossi :

Hi Kate,

Dr. Rossi :

Were you replying to a specific expert?

Dr. Rossi :

If not, what area is the one of your interest? Please clarify. Thank you!

Dr. Rossi :

Feel free to use the reply option when you're back online.

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

My question is for Kate McCoy.

Hello! It's good to hear from you.

One of the best ways to narrow down your choices is to look at reviews of the book. Other people's opinions are the most helpful because they not only give you a general overview of the book, they also discuss their impressions of the book and maybe add their own experience and how the book helped them. Some are also familiar with other books the author wrote and they may include their opinion on them as well. Life experience is the best teacher!

You may want to not only try the source you already have but also sites like Barnes and Noble. Also, if you have a book store near you, you can ask the clerk or owner for recommendations. They often have insight from their own customer's opinions and events they have held in their store.

And if your interest is in being a new Christian, you can ask someone in your church or another person who is a Christian. People who have become Christians often read to help themselves gain knowledge and insight into God.

If you cannot find a review on a certain book and you are unable to view it (if it is on line for example) you might want to avoid it until you have a chance to find it somewhere and see if you might like it. You can also search on Google something like "favorite Christian books" and see what comes up.

If it is ok with you, I would like to recommend a book called A Case for Faith. It was very helpful to me as a Christian.

Let me know if I can help further,

Kate
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.