How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the actions and traits of a psycopath? My grandson

This answer was rated:

what are the actions and traits of a psycopath? My grandson is 21 and he has been on drugs since he was 14. He has been disrespectful to his mother and step father for a long time. They sent him away at 17 to a rehabilitation center in Utah for one year. He came back and did not change his life. His parents finally after all types of counseling and therapy had him leave the house today. He does have a part time job and is very good about being there on time and working hard for two years. However, he spends every cent that he earns on his drugs. Finally he is stealing from them and returning merchandise that his mother has bought so that he can buy more drugs. He will not go to be mentally evaluated . He also has other issues like hearing disabilities without his hearing aids and also he has a blindness disease that can get worse as he get older. He cannot see at night right now.Can you advise us on what to do next. I am really concerned now that he is out in the street. I am concerned that he might get hurt out there or hurt someone.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's situation.
It sounds like he is still addicted to drugs.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Does he live alone?
Is he seeing a counselor or psychotherapist now?
Is he open to ongoing treatment (e.g., counseling) for his drug addition and other problems?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No he has been living with his mother and step father. He has a beautiful room and his Mom takes excellent care as far as medical providing his food, they provide everything even pay for his car insurance' Lately he has become very abusive with them. Chasing her out of his room when she asks him if he is hungry or if he needs anything. He yells at her and tells her she is good for nothing because she won't give him money for his drugs. They have been going to a counselor for about 3 yrs sometimes he goes and sometimes he won't go. Thurs she went by herself because he would not go. He is not open to treatment and now that he is over 18 we cannot force him to go. He has isolated himself in his room when he is not at work or going to his store to get his drugs. He has a medical card for medical marijuana. We have asked him to go see a Doctor for his anxiety but he will not hear of it. He says he does not want medications.
Hi there,
Thank you for waiting. I've contemplated on your grandson's situation.
I'm so sorry to hear about his condition. I can imagine how worried, sad and anxious you must have felt about his situation.
He has been using drugs for a few years, though he went to a rehab for one year when he was 17. He is still addicted to using drugs.
You stated he has some medical condition such as hearing disabilities and a blindness disease.
Perhaps, he may have psychiatric and neurological condition prior to his drug use. Many people with drug problems have mood disorder (anxiety and depression) before they get addicted to drugs.
It sounds like he has had a reasonably good home environment.
So, he may be genetically vulnerable to mood disorder and drug addiction.
He also shows strength as he can hold a part time job.
However, he keeps buying drugs.
So, his parents had him leave the house as he doesn't follow his parents' instructions at home. He has become increasingly abusive.
His parents had to use "tough love" to him.
You may contact him to see how he is doing sometimes if he has a mobile phone. Is he looking for a place to live alone?
Now he seems to be refusing treatment for his condition.
He may need counseling from a licensed counselor for his drug addiction/abuse and the underlying problems such as anxiety and depression.
If he contacts his parents and wants to go back home, his parents may tell him that he has to agree on ongoing drug treatment like working a counselor and his doctor weekly in an outpatient setting.
If he is dangerous to self (and others) due to his drug use, call a local mobile crisis team or psychiatric emergency response team designated by his city and county and give them his information (name, a location etc.) to initiate psychiatric assessment and involuntary hospitalization. Or, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
I hope your grandson gets help and support from a drug counselor or a psychological counselor/psychologist, and/or his doctor.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you