Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I get chest and jaw and arm pain is this normal for aniexty

Hi I get chest and...
Hi I get chest and jaw and arm pain is this normal for aniexty iv had stress test and echo .
7/10/2012
TherapistMarryAnn

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If you have already been screened by your doctor and any physical cause has been ruled out, then yes, it is very common to experience physical aches and pains with anxiety.

Because anxiety involves your body, you may be tensing and expressing a lot of what you feel through your jaw, arm and especially your chest. Many people who suffer from anxiety initially present to the ER with chest pain. The pain can often feel like heart problems. They also experience jaw pain because they are clenching their teeth, which they may not even notice.

It can help a lot to learn how to relax the right way. One of the best ways to teach yourself how to relax and get rid of these symptoms is through Progressive Relaxation Techniques. Here is a link to help you:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Therapy is the best way to address your anxiety. It can greatly reduce or even cure your anxiety. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral.

There are also numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety and how to control your panic. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

The more you know about anxiety, the easier it is to cope with it.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

been tested by 2 doctors and 2 cardiologists but my body still thinks something is wrong iv been to er as well

Then what you are dealing with sounds like anxiety. It is very common to experience anxiety through your body. It can be frightening, but it is not harmful. It is mostly muscle pain from being tense all the time. And the relaxation techniques can help a lot. Also, seeing a therapist can make a big difference. Therapy is the best way to address anxiety.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn

If you're satisfied with my response, please rate me highly. If you're not yet satisfied, please reply to me. We'll be able to continue working on your issue. Thanks!

Kate

thanks what's The reason for aniexty ? Serotonin levels ?

The reasons for anxiety vary and usually are based on emotional issues. There is a theory that is based on chemicals in the brain like serotonin but there are usually other factors involved like personality and coping mechanisms. Abuse is also a contributing factor.

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist