Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been working 4 jobs/ 49 hours a week. my desire has

I have been working 4...
I have been working 4 jobs/ 49 hours a week. my sexual desire has gone from flat to like kim catrall. and i satisfied myseft for eight hours after doing a 14 hour night shift - could i be having a manic episode?
7/7/2012
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist

It's a good that you are considering this possibility as a sudden change in libido and energy levels can occur as part of a manic episode.

Let's check a few other typical symptoms we might expect to develop as part of elevated mood:

Have you noticed a sense of restlessness?

You have alluded to a decreased need for sleep, can you describe your current sleep pattern and how this compares to your typical longer term sleep pattern?

Have you noticed feeling like it's difficult to stop talking?

Any changes in how you spend you money?

Have you been taking on many new tasks and projects?

Have you noticed any difficulty concentrating? For example, when reading or watching TV?

Have you noticed whether your thoughts are racing? Perhaps jumping from idea to idea?

Have you noticed being more excitable or irritable?

Have you noticed feeling more anger or hostility?

Have you been feeling much more better about yourself? A noticeable improvement in your self esteem?

May of these things are hard to observe/notice in ourselves so of particular importance is whether anybody close to you has noticed a change or perhaps commented on any of these aspects?

Also of particular importance is whether you have recently changed medication (dosage, type, etc) preceeding these recent changes?

I have been extremely agitated and restless. I do repetitivley talk about work and problem solve, I don't feel depressed (unusual). I find everything hilarious- my eyes looked like they where popping out of my head the other day. I have been studying hard for new jobs and I am the life and sole when I go to work (EMI). I have become unusually flirtatious and satisfied myself in my car - oops ( as a police car drove past)
Ok, thanks for the extra information. Do you need less sleep? Have you had any changes to your medication recently? Who is your medication managed by, a Psychiatrist or a GP/family doctor?

Unfortunately I had to stop taking stelazine 2mg as it is simply unavailable. My GP is currently handling my case but is unable to change the drug himself.My sleep pattern has change dramatically as I started night work 3 months ago and yes it has reduced

Ok.I think that there is more than enough changes indicating that you may be experiencing elevated mood, possibly due to medication changes. The absolute priority right now is that you are reviewed by a Psychiatrist ASAP. Do you have access to a Psychiatrist?

no i haven't seen one for five years

Ok. Are you able to see your GP immediately and request a referral?

no it's saturday

no it is saturday. I am frightened of losing my jobs also my driving licence this what puts me off getting immediate help
Ok. I can appreciate your concerns however if you are experiencing elevated mood then this warrants a medical emergency and you need to be reviewed ASAP. You may be at risk of developing full blown mania and if this occurs you will likely find yourself in hospital sooner or later (probably sooner). Do you have anyone there who can take you down to the local emergency ward today?

i will go - thank you so much!

Great. It best to be safe and get this checked out thoroughly. I hope this has been of some help. If you have any further questions now or in the future please don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!

Was my answer helpful? If so please select accept, if not let me know and I can opt out of this question and open it up for other experts.

Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Thank you so much for your help. I indeed had an elivated mood. I was raped approx +15 yrs ago and unfortunately it has all re- surfaced. I think I was very ill equipted to deal with the problem alone and I have found you and the service a great help. I do have a great insight into mental health and recognize when something is wrong better than some, but sometimes you need someone to give you a guiding hand - Thank you.
I just wanted to check in and see if you were able to bring the elevated move down. If I can be of further assistance or if you ever have any questions in the future please don't hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
I am much better. I am on chlorpromazine 50mg and it has help alot. I didn't realize how much my thoughts raced until I took this drug. I can now think more orderly and clearly. I am not as agitated, anxious and my libido seems normal. Thankyou so much for all your help
You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear things have settled down!
Dr John B
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist