How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask psychlady Your Own Question
psychlady, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 6893
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
psychlady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was in the military and was deployed in

This answer was rated:

my husband was in the military and was deployed in afghanistan for 15 months in 2009, when he returned he was not the same person, he has since retired with a medical discharge, and was diagnosed among other things with ptsd and bipolar disorder. it has been recently becoming practically unbearable to live with him and his mood swings, he takes out all his frustration on me, i cant even talk to him because he doesnt talk to me and places all the blame on me. i dont know what to do. right now he isnt even talking to me at all. Would it advisable to talk to his psychiatrist about his behavior because i suspect that his medication may no longer be sufficient?

It is very difficult to return as a soldier. We can't really relate to the issues that they face and communication is key. There will be no resolution as long as he is not talking but it isn't hopeless. First use his psychiatrist as a way to look at more effective medication solutions. People are most open to change when they feel terrible. This will be important in his resolution to such problems. You should also consider groups in your community for PTSD especially. There are therapists working with soldiers to allow them to reintegrate into the community and the home. He is a different person and this is going to be a great way for him to vent those feelings. You can also find a family or couples therapy so that you can function better as a couple. This takes the "blame" off of him and allows him to look at you as a couple. Right now he may be angry and that is projected onto you. Find additional support through local military groups so that he feels less angry at serving only to be plagued by these problems. The more support you attract the more he will feel that he isn't alone. Then he may begin to channel that anger more productively. Above all be patience as he navigates through his life now with these issues. We can never repay people for serving our country.

I do not get compensated unless you provide positive feedback to JA.

psychlady and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you