Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

I have been divorced for 10 years. I do not have children. I

I have been divorced for 10 years. I do not have children. I am very depressed most of the time. I am on medication, and I see my therapist once to twice a week. I have a good job, but I have to focus to make it to work each day. My anxiety is getting worse. I feel overwhelmed most of the time. I am afrraid that the pain will continue to increase, and I will commit suicide. Please give me some guidance. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 5 years ago.
Dr.Kappler :

thank you for choosing this website

Dr.Kappler :

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling depressed and then medication and therapy do not seem to make it any better.you sound like focusing on your work each day is difficult and you are feeling more and more anxious. You're dealing with feelings of being overwhelmed and are afraid that your pain will increase.you are requesting some guidance

Dr.Kappler :

Depression is an emotion that feeds on itself. Combined with anxiety and a feeling of being overwhelmed and it takes on a life of its own. You need to regained control of your life. You need to start on something small that you can control such as your hygiene, exercise or keeping things around your house neat and tidy. Choose something that you are almost positive you can complete and do it every day without interruption until you complete it. You must start to break the depressive cycle which is the more that you acknowledge your depressed the less you do and the less you do the more depressed you feel. If it is simply taking a walk, it must be something that you can accomplish and do everyday.

Dr.Kappler :

From there when you're ready you can begin to expand on your locus of control until it takes over a little more of your life. It would be an excellent idea to talk to your therapist about steps that you can take to regain control of your life. You may want to talk with your physician about a medication reassessment or the possible addition of something like Abilify to your antidepressant.

Dr.Kappler :

Another aspect of your life that needs to be addressed his pain management. I am not clear as to what is causing you pain but you should discuss with your physician alternative ways to manage your pain. If nothing else a referral to a pain clinic may be appropriate.

Dr.Kappler :

Lastly you need to work on your support system. I would encourage you to contact old friends that you have not talked to and develop their friendship. You may consider getting a pet. Here are some self-help websites that may help you fear depression and sense of helplessness:

Dr.Kappler :

I see that your currently off-line and I would be interested in your reaction to my answer. I will be available tonight till midnight Pacific standard time and all day tomorrow.