Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

Both infectious disease docs I've gone to ---are by lab

Both infectious disease docs I've gone to ---are by lab results only. They say no 6 bands - no lymes. I know some Lyme specialist go strictly by clinical diagnosis. One major Lyme doctor Dr Schere -- I read about says panic attacks alone are diagnostic, others say its the joint, muscles, tiredness that sets in within one year that is so debilitating that one can diagnose it, Q1- Which would you TRUST your sister with --a clinical or lab diagnosis-. Q2-Should I try and withdraw first from Lorazapem so there is no confusion of withdrawal symptoms and revist Lyme clinician type doctor in the future. Q3-What would you say if I was your sister, so to rule it out. Please help me remove this negative thinking so I can proceed properly with my withdrawal. Q4-Can you tell me what those bands mean 37,41,45- are they definitie for lyme?

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
waiting for answer from Dr Andersen only. Thanks Camille for your assistance. Please DO NOT cancel question.
Thank you :-) I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

especially you - but also this service is outstanding. Thank you again

Greetings!
Spotty service since we are still without power, but let me answer the questions while I have the chance! :)
(1) A rule I was taught in medical school - treat the patient, not the monitor (or lab test, in this case). I've had it happen before, for example, where a patient had poor energy, intolerance to cold, thick hair that was falling out..in short all the clinical signs of hypothyroidism. BUT, her labs were normal. Recalling my training, I opted to treat her as having hypothyroidism in spite of the lab test, and her symptoms resolved. It was a valuable lesson for me. So, I'd go with the less lab-only dogmatic doc.
(2) This is a tough question. Certainly withdrawal symptoms have a lot of things in common with Lyme, as we noted in the prior post. But, Lyme is also quite treatable and if allowed to persist can cause long-term problems. So, I think treating both at the same time is warranted, unless the doctor who does wish to proceed with treatment thinks you can wait until the Ativan taper is done.
(3) I'd say all that above. :)
(4) The lab test is a Western blot, where they check the DNA/RNA of what is being tested. The bands, measured in KDA, measure the size of the protein the band corresponds to. Specific bands cross react to indicate the presence of Lyme. The more bands, the most likely it is to be Lyme. Most use 6 bands as a cut-off. This is suggestive for Lyme, but not diagnostic if one is a "purist." BUT, like I said, treat the patient, not the monitor. :)
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Q-Can you tell me what those bands mean 37,41,45- are they definitie for lyme? Plse research and let me know

1stt test done march -stoney brook (above)

2nd test test may- at labcorp - only band 41

adding to question. I have also been told (on the phone)that I have a viral syndrome response.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Male
Person's Age: 77

Already Tried:
I have had chronic back leg muscle pain. I have been diagnosed as having sciatica, herniated disk, stenosis. My calve muscles are week and I feel weak and tired when walking. I have generalized pain in the knew, calve, foot area. I have been somewhat helped with pain management by a chiropracter who has used traction, heat, some adjustment but reluctant to do too much because of my age. I also have leg cramps, tinling in the toes. Recently I had two treatments of acupuncture that have helped

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have not been told on phone about viral response. I am not that male 77????? etc. just asked camilla to close this out. You have answered properly my questions. Have a great night

That indeed was strange! Wonder how that happened...hope you had a great night!
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Greetings,
There was a series of questions asked under one of your questions, but the language did not seem yours and it seemed way off topic from what we have been discussing. It could be yours, but given the deviation from our normal thread, I wanted to confirm someone had not "hacked" your question!
Regards,
Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist