Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

My doctor recently switched me from Geodon to Risperdal. I

My doctor recently switched me from Geodon to Risperdal. I am worried because I have become dependent upon the Geodon to get to sleep. If I do not take it, I will not fall asleep. I have gone days without sleep when I failed to take Geodon. I am wondering, will Risperdal also help me to get to sleep? Or will I have to ask my doctor to prescribe me a sleep aid? Thanks.
Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question! For most patients, Risperdal actually tends to be more sedating than Geodon, so yes, it definitely should help in that regard. It may even be better than the Geodon!

Dr_Anderson :

Also, while I'm not sure why your doctor is making the switch, another advantage to Risperdal is it is once daily dosing rather than twice, like Geodon.

Dr_Anderson :

Also, you do not have to take it with food like you do with Geodon.

Dr_Anderson :

All in all, it will probably be a very good medicine for you, with no need for an additional medicine for sleep.

Dr_Anderson :

You can also ask your doctor about "cross tapering" to make sure the transition is smooth and your sleep remains intact. In cross-tapering, you slowly go down on the dose of the outgoing medicine while concurrently increasing the dose of the new medicine.

Dr_Anderson :

A lot of information, but I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson