Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I tested positive at work for benzos i take advair n spriva

I tested positive at work for benzos i take advair n spriva could this b wwhy

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. I could not find any case reports of Spiriva/Advair causing a false positive for benzodiazepines, although diphehydramine (a common ingredient in medications used for allergies) can cause false positives for benzodiazepines.
Dr_Anderson : What other medications are you on?
Dr_Anderson : Given that you want to show that you do NOT take benzodiazepines, either repeating the test or having the original sample tested with Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry will demonstrate the urine is clean.
Dr_Anderson : Please let me know if I may be of further service or if you have other questions!
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Customer: U did not answer the question can they show a false positive
Customer: U did not answer the question can it show a false positive
Dr_Anderson : Yes, I answered it above, the second sentence. No case reports of it happening in the literature, so it is improbable the Spira/Advair led to a false positive.
Dr_Anderson : Other medications can lead to a false positive, but I'd have to know what meds you take to be able to tell. Also, the GC/MS test I mentioned above is a way to show you do NOT have benzodiazepines in your system.
Dr_Anderson : Hello! What follow-on questions do you have?
Dr_Anderson : (by the way, the GC/MS test can be requested, and if done it should be done on the sample they took from you that showed the false positive, not on a new sample.)
Customer: I take pro air inhaler n aleeve n albuterol in a neb if necessary
Dr_Anderson : Proventil inhaler?
Dr_Anderson : Proventil and its main ingredient, albuterol, can cause false positives for amphetamines, but not for benzodiazepines.
Customer: Its called pro air hfa
Dr_Anderson : Yesm ProAir is albuterol, so it should not cause a false positive for benzodiazepines. Aleve can cause a false positive for opioids, but it should not for benzos.
Dr_Anderson : So, it looks like what you are on should NOT cause a false positive. To clear your medical record/drug test, I'd either:
Dr_Anderson : (a) Ask for a new test
Dr_Anderson : (b) Ask for a GC/MS
Dr_Anderson : (c) Both!
Dr_Anderson : Hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service or if you have other questions.
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Customer: I can not c ur answer i ll i c is the word both. Then hope this helps
Dr_Anderson :

There have been some chat problems today, so let me copy and paste it so you can see it:

Dr_Anderson :

Yes ProAir is albuterol, so it should not cause a false positive for benzodiazepines. Aleve can cause a false positive for opioids, but it should not for benzos.

So, it looks like what you are on should NOT cause a false positive. To clear your medical record/drug test, I'd either:

(a) Ask for a new test

(b) Ask for a GC/MS

5:51 PM

(c) Both!

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service or if you have other questions.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson

Dr_Anderson :

I'll convert this to a "Q&A" format to try and solve the viewing problem. It will say our chat is over, but it is not - we can still talk about this until you are satisfied you have the answers you need...

Also, I note that you have rated this interaction as NEGATIVE. Given that our interaction is not done, and that I have answered your questions, why did you rate this as a NEGATIVE? If there is some information you feel you are lacking, then please ask!