How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a daughter age 34, who was diagnosed with bipolar

This answer was rated:

we have a daughter age 34, who was diagnosed with bipolar with psychotic tendenies, munchousen, and personality disorder, likely a socialiopath. we do not have poa for her, she is constantly moving around from place to place, and is back in ga where she started from. her children were taken from her, and they are with their father in ga. he has a restraining order on her, and no phone visitation because of the terrible things she was saying to her children. she has hooked back up with a man who has assault and battery charges on his record. we think he may be keeping her against her will. we live in ky. she was admitted to sw mental hospital in thomasville ga last november. we brought her home with us and in three weeks she was gone again. life with her is miserable. is there anything we can do if we get an address on her, to have her picked up and taken to the mental health facility. i dont know our rights. she is and will not take her meds. thanks
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Was this man charged with domestic violence against your daughter?
When did her behavior problem start?
Have you consulted with an attorney?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Hi there,
Thank you for waiting.
I had to be away from JA due to other duties.
I'm so sorry to hear about your 34 year old daughter's situation.
It sounds like your daughter has bipolar disorder, psychotic features, factitious disorder features, and personality disorder features.
She's back to the person who may be dangerous to her.
You may consult with an attorney to get conservatorship of her due to her mental condition.
Here is the link:
If she is dangerous to self (and others) due to her mental condition, call a local mobile crisis team or psychiatric emergency response team designated by her city and county to initiate psychiatric assessment and involuntary hospitalization.
Or, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
For her bipolar disorder, she needs to work with psychiatrist (M.D.) and psychotherapist. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Individual psychotherapy will help her for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for her to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to her.
If she has no health insurance or need low cost treatment, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area in which she can get treatment described above even without health insurance.
To find a group therapy or a support group for her, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with Bipolar disorder. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The book Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder
Dr.Julie A. Fast, Dr. John D. Preston may be helpful.
I hope your daughter gets treatment for her condition as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you