How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrFee Your Own Question
DrFee, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 437
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
DrFee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am looking for a Counselor for my child who is recovring

This answer was rated:

Hello I am looking for a Counselor for my child who is recovring from a concussion. I am not sure what type of Doctor to be looking for? She has three concussion Dr's I am more looking for the other part of this to help her get back into wanting to be social.
Hi Patricia, Did she developed any memory or other cognitive problems since the concussion? Is she having any PTSD symptoms? You said she was seeing a concussion doctor for last one tear. What is the working diagnosis from the doctor? Please provide this information so that I can provide appropriate advice. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She does have some memory problems since the concussion. She is monitored regular.What is PTSD? She does take medicine now. She get so tired and had been getting headaches often but since the new medicine it has helped with the headaches alot.
PTSD is Post traumatic stress disorder. It occurs in some people following a significant traumatic event. It is usually identified by having frequent nightmares, avoiding the places that trauma occurred, hyper vigilance, sleep problem, reliving experience if the trauma. These are few common symptoms
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So if this is the case what would we do for her? I am looking for help for this. She doesn't want to be around large group any more no matter how much I try.

I am just not sure what kind of counselor to find for her?? Any ideas?

thanks Patricia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still waiting for a reply to this question. Do I NEED TO ASK A NEW Question to get this started?

Hi, She would better see a clinical psychologist with specialist interest in PTSD.
In this way she would get help for lack of motivation,some memory problems.The psychologist can assess her to see whether she has any symptoms of clinical depression.if she has she can help with Cognitive behavior therapy(CBT). If she has some symptom soy PTSD, she can receive appropriate hep from the psychologist.

I hope this helps.
Please do not hesitate to ask me if you require more information.
I wish her all the best.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if you feel she needs to see a Clinical Psychologist how do I go about finding one in my state or area? She has been seeing a Neuropsychologist and a Psychiatrist and one more Dr. so this Doctor would be different?
If she is already seeing a neuropsychologist i think she she would be able to identify and discuss the issues i mentioned above.
I don't think she seeing too many professionals would help either especially if she is seeing a neuropsychologist and psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I ahve talked to them and they tell me I will need to search out a Doctor in my area but I am not sure how to find one that would be good for this problem that is why I ask you to see how I go about finding a good Doctor for her. The Doctors we see now are good but haven't offer any counselor they told us that is up to us and we do not know where to find one in our area or state.

thanks again

Ok.. Can you Tell me the name of your Place and that I will try to find out and will inform you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok thanks It would be 16214 .

Thank you for your time and all your help


I went through my contacts and also screened via search for a person who would be of help.The followings psychologists profile suits her as she deals with children .I have to be honest,I don't have any personal knowledge about this psychologist.

Dr. Monica L WalshPsychologist , PhD
4284 William Flynn Hwy (Route 8)
Castletown Square Professional Bldg, Ste 203
Allison Park,  Pennsylvania  15101

You can also look in With your post code.

In the mean time I think she would benefit from two self help books to improve the understanding.

1.Managing Social Anxiety: A Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Approach (Client Workbook)

Debra A. Hope (Author), Richard G. Heimberg (Author), Harlan R. Juster (Author), Cynthia L. Turk (Author)

Don't worry about the name of the book BUt the principles are based on CbT model which are helpful.

2.The Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Workbook: Your Program for Regaining Cognitive Function and Overcoming Emotional Pain (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)
Douglas J. Mason PsyD LCSW (Author), Marc Irwin Sharfman MD (Foreword)

I hope you find this information helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask for more information if required. I wish her all the best. Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello I am more looking for someone near home whoI will not have to drive over two hours to get to so this one doesn't work. I tried the other way of going on site that you stated but again there is anyhing that was on that page to help us. I still am not sure how to find a good dr in our area.

thank you for your time.


ps I also notice in my child who had no problem before the concussion she is having trouble with numbers and remember them if she needs to will this work book be of help in that area too?

Hi Patricia,
Yes, That book would help in understanding the issues and so e practical steps. The neuropsychologist your child seeing should be able to help you with neurocognitive assessment,arithmetic ability and any practical issues that might be of help.
I am sorry I don't have any other contacts that I can suggest to you.
What you can do is, if you don't find this answer helpful, without accepting you might be able to relist the question.
I wish her all the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello XXXXX relist this question than it will not be your question any more. I just need some help fiind one Doctor in my area that may help.

So thank you for your time .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I do not wish to pay again I already did. I need to find a counslor for my child in my area.

Hello! The deposit you made stays on hold until you Accept someone's answer. If you don't Accept, eventually it is returned to you.

Here are a couple of referrals in your zip code:

I do not know any of these people personally:

Susan Mcconnell

New Wilmington Child and Family Counseling
211 W. Neshannock Avenue
New Wilmington, Pennsylvania 16142


I don't know if this person is too far for you--he also has an office in Greensburg

Dr. John Carosso, Psy.D. & Associates
339 Old Haymaker Road
Suite 1104
Monroeville, Pennsylvania 15146


I hope this helps -- The first name looks like a good possibility,and she specializes in children. Even if the second person is too far for you, he might be able to refer you to someone closer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the names But our Zip codes are 16214 the other two are pretty far from us. I am hoping to get her one within a hour of here what kind of Doctor do you feel would help her? Like I said in the past few emails we do have three other doctors for her Concussion but they do not deal with this part of her recovery and i have ask and was told to look here myself. This is why I am askingI just don't know what to do

thank you for your time


Hi Patricis,

I agree with Dr. Rao that a Child Psychologist who specializes in CBT and PTSD would be your best choice.

I see only 2 therapists in your zip code as well as this counseling center, which seems to have multiple offices all over:

You can read about CBT here:

I would call the counseling center. It sounds like they have lots of therapists and some who specialize in children. It should not matter if you are not Christian (they are) many Christian therapists treat non-christian clients with no mention of faith/spirituality. But, if that's a concern to you, you can ask them about it over the phone.

Please follow up with me until you have a satisfactory answer --

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok the two your are speaking of that may be in our area are they the ones you told me about in the first place? I will check the site out but the one I feel Dr. Rao told me to check till didn't help me but i need to find someone soon as school is out and she does need to talk to someone. thank you so much for your help.


Yes, the two that I first told you about came up when I searched in your zip code. Are they close to you? The other counseling center sounds like it is right in your zip code.

If you are satisfied, I'd appreciate you re-rating my answer. If you are not, I will continue to work with you until you are satisfied!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Maybe you put the wrong zip in our zip is 16214 not 16142 it just was a few number off but makes a huge different in areas. No they are not near to us.

Thank you for trying


I double checked it --and I did put in the right zip code. Only one therapist comes up with your exact zip:

And then the rest come up. I have a difficult time believing that she is the only therapist in your zip, although I know that some areas of PA can be extremely rural.

She doesn't sound like an appropriate therapist for your daughter, but maybe you can call her and ask for a referral.

How about your medical insurance? Have you checked with them for some referrals?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok Thank you I thought you were speaking of the first two Doctors you gave me with was in the zip code of 16142. I did see the other one but I didn't think she would be right for my child either. Yes we live in a Very Rural and there prob. is only one Doctor like that here. I just don't know what to do and will call the insurance co. to see. This is what country life is like for us not having all the extra's when we need them.

thank you again


How do I put the zip code in maybe I can try the next towns zip and see if that woeks for us. which would be 15825


I know that can be really difficult and frustrating --I've lived in rural areas in the past myself.

If you go to the home page:, you should see on the right hand side a box that says "Find a Therapist" and there's a place you can enter your zip code. No one comes up in that zip code --the first on the list is in 16830.

I'm sorry that you don't have more choices.

Dr Fee

DrFee, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 437
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
DrFee and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you