Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I am currently separated from my spouse and going through

I am currently separated from my spouse and going through some issues at work. I am not drinking alcohol but have found that ativan is helping me deal with the constant anxiety while still functioning in a productive way. Is it okay to ask my doctor for a prescription for this purpose?
Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

What if anything is making you hesitant to ask for the anti anxiety medication?

Dr. Rossi :

Are you concerned about it being addictive or if it would impede your work?

Dr. Rossi :

You've listed that you're receiving counseling and are taking Zoloft.

Dr. Rossi :

A person can take the ativan w/ the zoloft because these are different class medications

Dr. Rossi :

The medication works on the GABA receptors in the brain.

Dr. Rossi :

There is a natural GABA supplement as well that can be obtained w/o prescription

Dr. Rossi :

The anxiety may also be something that could be addressed w/ your therapist or a hypnotherapist (if you decide to try other options than the medication Ativan)

Dr. Rossi :

Prayer/meditation have also shown effective in slowing down one's brain waves to a more relaxe state of Alpha or Theta. There are some audio recordings that can be used as well at home

Dr. Rossi :

It shows that you're off line at the moment. Feel free to reply to this thread and clarify if this is what you were inquiring about. You can continue the thread by using the option : continue discussion

Dr. Rossi :

It shows that you're off line now. Please feel free to clarify what you were seeking by using the option continue session/discussion

Something else to mention- benzo class medications can be used PRN (as needed) and you can ask your MD for the RX due to what you're experiencing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm no longer taking the zoloft....I didn't feel it was working. I was just wondering if this would be an appropriate situation for me to ask for an anti anxiety med? should I consider going back on the zoloft?
it is appropriate if the anxiety is causing you difficulties. You could also inquire about Cymbalta which, targets both anxiety and depression (since the zoloft was not working for you) It is an SNRI class medication as to where the Zoloft is SSRI one.