How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrFee Your Own Question
DrFee, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 437
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
DrFee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother acting strangely, showing signs of paranoia and

Resolved Question:

My brother acting strangely, showing signs of paranoia and obsessing about matters. He's struggling to find a job and believes everyone is conspiring against him. He admitted himself into some kind of hospital a few years ago but remains vague on what he was being treated for and left after a couple of days. How can we help him ? Is there anyway we can find out what he was treated for ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 5 years ago.

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

It sounds like you are very worried about your brother, and understandably so.

Because of HIPAA (federal law protecting private health information) and other laws pertaining to confidentiality, you cannot find out anything about your brother's treatment unless he signs what's called a "release of information," for you to do so.

Unfortunately, unless his situation becomes an emergency (like if he appears to be in imminent danger of harming himself), you cannot seek help for him. The best you can do is express your concern, point out what you see, and in a very loving and empathic way tell him that you would like to help. It sounds like this might be difficult --since he has not been forthcoming with information.

Please feel free to follow up with me.

DrFee and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you