How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My little sister now lives with her dad that lets her get

Resolved Question:

My little sister now lives with her dad that lets her get away with everything she went way down hill shes 14 and hates my home with my mother and hates my mom, She has a 19 year old boyfriend who uses drugs ! also now smokes! Her father is in denial to all the facts she is heading downhill quick and mom is half scared of her! She never use to be this way .. every time I try to suggest any help to the family they dont listen and tell me to stop talking, my mom has issues herself with depression and stress I feel like shes bi polar but what do i know. Im 21 and feel like im in a downward spiral in hell watching my family fall apart ALL I WANT IS A GOOD LIFE!! I have been a student full time and these family issues have been making my schooling harder to the point where i missed days and ended up gettin withdrawn my parents dont know just a few months ago i was deans list and i feel like my life is falling apart! please help? any places i can call? anything we live in PA~!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry this is happening with your sister and your family. When you are trying to go to school and deal with family at the same time, it can feel very overwhelming.

If your parents and sister will not listen to your feelings, then you may have to seek out help on your own. You can start at your college's counseling department, if they have one. This is probably only possible if you are still enrolled at college, but it is worth a try.

You can also contact your local community mental health. In PA, you can be seen at the local community mental health center for a low cost/no cost sliding fee scale. Try contacting your city or county government offices for the number or your local United Way. The United Way also has numerous resources to help you find other counseling options. You can also talk with your family doctor for options.

As you work on finding a counselor to see, try working on ways to help yourself cope with the stress. Relaxation exercises, talking to friends, and spending more time away from your family can help. There is little you can do to control their behavior, but you can try to help yourself. And although it is tempting to try and fix the mess your family is in, you can only do so much.

I hope this helps you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions