How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rossi Your Own Question
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Rossi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe by 12 year old daughter is suffering from selective

Resolved Question:

I believe by 12 year old daughter is suffering from selective mutism - i've been to my GP who just told be to contact her school - what treatment is there for this condition
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.



She can benefit from working with a therapist (counselor/psychologist) who specializes in treating anxiety spectrum disorders.

Another form of treatment would be to work with a speech pathologist.

There is also medication that can to an extent regulate her anxiety level. Natural options are also available for anxiety. It may be most helpful to use a multidisciplinary treatment approach.


Behavioral therapy, counseling, play/narrative therapy and working with school personnel can all be incorporated in her treatment.


It would be helpful if there is a counselor who could work with her at home and at school.


Please feel free to clarify if this is what you were inquiring about.


Dr. Rossi and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions