Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

How will Aerocept delay AD?

How long will Aerocept delay AD?
Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question. I see you are offline right now, so I will try to offer some information to get you started. Aricept, as you have noted, does not reverse Alzheimer's. It can slow the progress in many individuals. The average delay of symptoms is anywhere from 1 to 5 years, but this depends upon a lot of factors, such as how badly a person's symptoms are at the time of diagnosis, if other problems (especially neurological ones) are present, and if the doe is adjusted upwards and/or augmented with Namenda.

Dr_Anderson :

Generally, Aricept slows the deterioration during that several year period, but once it no longer works, the person's disease progresses rapidly to "catch up" where it should have been before the Aricept.

Dr_Anderson :

I hope this helps, please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My wife is also Bi-Polar, and has been for over 30 years. Pretty well managed with medications. Unfortunately we think she has mixed dementia along with the AD, so her symptoms are many and varied. Aricept 5MG has helped, but in some ways has made her more agitated. Since some of the dementia symptoms are similar to medication problems with Bi-Polar disorder we really don't know when her symptoms from dementia actually started. Probably about 3 years ago. What is the "standard" dosage for Aricept? You mentioned Namenda, will that help too?
Greetings, and thank you for the extra information, it is helpful to know your wife's background.
You are quite correct, some of the symptoms of bipolar overlap with dementia symptoms. Both problems can have quick flares, or insidious flares. Having been alongside her during her bipolar illness all these years, you know the "flavor" of her bipolar. So, if what you see is not consistent with what you have seen before, it may be safe to presume it is not the bipolar but may, in fact, be due to dementia.
The standard dose to start with is 5 mg. As the process progresses, increasing it to 10 mg is called for. Once the dose is increased to 10 mg, many clinicians will add Namenda. It works on the NMDA receptor to also aid in dementia. A recent study looked at it and said it didn't add too much when combined with Aricept, but other studies have shown it to be helpful. My typical practice is to add it and see if it helps. If it does not, I remove it. But, Aricept should be the mainstay.
I hope this helps!
Regards,
Dr. Anderson