Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

ASK SUZANNE, My husband hasn't had a fulltime job in 4

Customer Question
ASK SUZANNE, My husband hasn't had...
ASK SUZANNE,
My husband hasn't had a fulltime job in 4 years. We have other problems as well. I am handling this the best way I can. My son has some medical issues, a retracted ear drum, he needs speech and physical therapy. I deal with depression. At a time when we could really use some positivity in our lives, i feel as though his family is doing the opposite. i have tried and tried to be good. tried and tried to be good to them. i just think i need to not allow myself to continualling get hurt by them. what do you think? Jen
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/11/2012
Mental Health Professional: Suzanne, Mental Health Professional replied 5 years ago
Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
It has seemed, since we've been communicating, that his family has been a source of distress, rather than a source of help or support to you. I'm so sorry to hear that your baby has medical issues--that must add to your stress quite a bit.
I agree that you need to protect yourself from further hurt by them. It may be better to find people on your side of the family (such as your mother, etc.) that you can go to instead for support.
It's necessary to keep cordial relationships with your in-laws, but that's probably as much as you can expect from them. Put your focus on people you trust to support you, and use them as your resources, rather than the in-laws. Perhaps talk to your psychologist about adding group therapy to your current treatment, so you have more people to confide in and get support from. You may also be able to find "young mother's groups" at local churches, or even on meetup.com so you can enlarge your circle of supportive friends.
Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Suzanne
Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional