Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

URGENT - I have been on ativan for the last month. the dosage

Customer Question

URGENT - I have been on ativan for the last month. the dosage is every 6 hrs .50mg
I take this by alarm clock.
Here are my blood pressure pulses
1pm yesterda y 128/84 p73 took pil
then 111/81 p74
3pm 104/79 p 70
at 1am before pill 108/85 p83
7am today at pill 104/86 p73
after 97/75 p77
10am 99/83 p72
noon 100/82 p 66
Q 1 ----ARE these blood pressures low - scared to take .50 mg pill at 1oclock
should I take half or wait...
(.I am alone in the house and fear something bad
age 55 - no other meds. Been on ativan 7am-1pm-7pm-1am for about a month
Its great for nightime anxiety.
q2- Can I wean off of it- do I cut this 1 oclock pill .50mg ---in 1/2 or wait longer to take it? I only have very rough time at night. Have been sitting around and watching tv all day.
q3- will exercise raise or lower bp
q4- will exercise raise or lower pulse
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 5 years ago.

Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question! I see you are offline right now but will try to provide you with some information from which to start. First off, for most people Ativan does not alter blood pressure directly. It works on the GABA system in the brain, and the blood pressure systems are different (NE and EP, to be specific). Now, Ativan can relieve anxiety, as you have found out, and that lowered anxiety can translate to lowered blood pressure, but it ought not mean blood pressure that is too low. Typically, Ativan slows breathing rate and effort rather than blood pressure.

Dr_Anderson :

You can certainly wean off the Ativan, but given the length of time you have been off it, I'd do this under guidance of a physician. However, cutting out 0.25 - 0.5 mg at a time, or just spacing out the time between doses (which is effectively the same as not taking as much) is a very safe plan to avoid rebound anxiety and withdrawal symptoms.

Dr_Anderson :

For question 3, exercise in the long run usually lowers blood pressure (or keeps it close to normal), but during the actual exercise itself and for a short recovery period after the blood pressure and heart rate will be elevated - this is normal and desired.

Dr_Anderson :

Hope this gets you started! Please let m know if you have further questions or if I may be of further service!

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson