How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was severly abused through my entire childhood. To get me

Resolved Question:

I was severly abused through my entire childhood. To get me through the abuse, I converted my pain into anger. I survived the abuse, moved out at 21, but my life is a living hell. I trust no one, can not experience love, and I fail to have a reason to live.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about what you went through.
I can imagine how sad, anxious, and fearful you must have been about this situation.
You went through a lot. You survived the abuse from your mother. You witnessed the abuse from your parents towards your siblings at home.
You may have lived in terror.
You must have had PTSD symptoms – flashbacks and severe anxiety attacks. Anger is a symptom of depression.
Your pain is beyond words.
I would advise you to work with a psychologist specialzing in PTSD/trauma, Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and/or EMDR.
The most common treatment modalities for PTSD include cognitive-behavioral treatment (CBT), pharmacotherapy, EMDR, group treatment, and psychodynamic treatment.
You may need to see a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in PTSD. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) and EMDR(Eye Movement desensitization and reprocessing) will work for both PTSD. EMDR and CBT (including RELAXATION TECHNIQUES, IMAGINAL FLOODING, GRADUATED & PROLONGED EXPOSURE, IMPLOSIVE THERAPY, STRESS INOCULATION TRAINING) are most effective for PTSD.
You may find a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist who SPECIALIZES IN EMDR and/or CBT and PTSD & Depression in a community clinic, a local hospital or a private office setting.
Or contact your insurance company and get a list of providers with the specialty.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as PTSD. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and PTSD.
Another way to find a psychotherapist, you may call your insurance company and can ask for a list of providers who you may work with. If you have no health insurance, you can also call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment described above even without health insurance. You can get counseling for free or low fee.
To find a specialist/therapist for PTSD, contact ANXIETY DISORDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA( and go to the link - ( To find a therapist who specialize in EMDR, please go to the website ( and go to the section FIND AN EMDR CLINICIAN (
Another way to find a PTSD specialist/psychiatrist in your area is, you can contact any of the following organizations: the Sidran Foundation(###) ###-#### Anxiety Disorders Association of America(###) ###-#### American Psychological Association(###) ###-#### NAMI(###) ###-####
Additionally, call the National Center for Victims of Crime's toll-free information and referral service at 1-800-FYI-CALL. This is a comprehensive database of more than 6,700 community service agencies throughout the country that directly support victims of crime.
Additionally, I would advise you to try yoga, massage therapy, acupuncture, nutritional therapy, and Biofeedback to reduce stress and anxiety and promote relaxation and healing from trauma.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am already w/a counselor and she has told me repeatedly that she has never seen anyone w/as much anger in them as I carry. She has given me techniques to work out my agression, but they are , at best temporary. Will I never relieve my body of my horrible memories? Am I doomed to the remainer of my life w/these issues?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm sorry to hear your struggle.
It's good for you to continue working with your counselor.
It's necessary and important for you to express your feelings of anger and sadness about your parents treatment via psychotherapy every week for a long time as you haven't been able to talk about and process these very sad and scary memories for a long time.
If you want to work through these traumatic memories sooner, I would advise you to work with your counselor or a specialist in PTSD 2-3 times a week.
You deserve happiness. It's possible for you to heal from these very painful memories with help from a counselor and a specialist.
Dr. Olsen and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you