Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Kate, I am really stuggling to stay awake and positive. My

Customer Question
Hi Kate, I am really stuggling...
Hi Kate,
I am really stuggling to stay awake and positive. My daughter is funny. While walking our trio of dogs she says to me "Why didn't didn't Sally open the door?" I say I have no idea. She says "Because she doesn't have any hands. Knock Knock, I say Who's There? and she says "Not Sally". She is so goofy that I couldn't help but smile. It wasn't that the joke was funny, it was how animated she is.
I've decided we should go to church later today. I am hoping it will help me. But Tuesday seems so far away for me. It seems like forever and i know how silly this sounds. I really am glad you are around. It makes me feel less scared and alone.
Kathy
p.s. My main problem is dealing with my intense feelings. I will continue to try and journal them but it is difficult to explain how you feel sometimes. I feel so bad about the recovered memory. It is horrible. I promise I will tell you soon. It is just so difficult due to its content. Yucky stuff for lack of a better word. But I do trust you and that in itself is a huge deal for me.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/9/2012
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist replied 5 years ago
TherapistMarryAnn

Hi Kathy,

I will be right back to answer your question.

Thanks,

Kate

Kathy,

Sorry about that. Technical issue.

I am glad to be here for you. Dealing with trauma can be a lonely thing and having others to rely on can make a big difference. Plus, you should not struggle alone. You deserve to have all the support you can get.

Your daughter is funny! I'm glad you have her. She sounds so sweet and loving.

It may help you to try to keep a list of feelings with you when you journal. And when you get stuck, pull it out and go over it. You may find that you can identify more feelings with the list.

You can also try different journaling techniques. Try writing an unsent letter, or even write as if you are talking to your therapist or even me. Picture yourself in a safe place with endless time to talk about what you truly feel with someone who is focused on you. This is someone who you can trust completely. Imagine that they ask you how you are and what you feel. What would you say? Also, you can try talking to the person who hurt you, expressing all you would say if you could if you were in a safe place with others to protect you.

By using your imagination, you can create a good environment for you to express yourself. Just picturing scenarios can unlock some of your feelings and help you express yourself easier.

I hope church went well and helped you feel better!

Kate

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist