How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I keep having sucidale thoughts. I wouldnt do it but alot of

Resolved Question:

I keep having sucidale thoughts. I wouldnt do it but alot of bad things have happened to me and its getting harder to push the thoughts out of my mind am i in danger of loosing my mind and doing it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and suffering.
You may be at risk of self-harm.
I would advise you to see your doctor or go to an emergency room of a local hospital NOW. Call your family or seek help immediately or call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
It's very important for you to work with a counselor or a psychologist WEEKLY. At this point, you should talk to your counselor or doctor 2-3 times a week as you seem to be in crisis.
Remember you can get out of depression if you work with counselors and doctors in your area.
I hope you don't give up and reach out to counselors and doctors.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm well my wife left me she wont go to counciling with me my father died a few months before that and my wife for seven years verbally and mentalily abused me. I have two kids and can imagine doing that to them but the thoughts keep coming back anyway like i have no control over them. Ive lost many close friends in the past and got clean from drugs on my own and have been clean seven years but things arent getting any easier. At this point its getting harder everyday. Is it really possible for me to loose my sinces and do somthing that stupid. And if so what signs should i be looking for
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im also looseing weight fast.since she left me. Is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Your loss of weight may have to do with depression.
Indeed, you went through a lot - separation from your wife, your wife's mental abuse, loss of your father, and loss of your friends etc.. It's likely you are falling into Bereavement-related depression as other people with similar situations. You may need grief counseling or Cognitive-behavior therapy.
Depression can cause loss of appetite and affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease to name a few. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression.
You may have to pay attention to your thoughts and feelings, sleep patterns, and appetite.
First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your feelings of sadness.
If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist/counselor to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY - ideally 2-3 times a week.
You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for men with similar situations (loss of the loved one, separation/divorce) in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for self, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
Don't give up hope and reach out to your doctor and counselors for the sake of yourself and your children.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will look in to these things. Honestly if it wasnt for my kids i probably wouldnt be here any more. But they need me so here i am. I have been jumping from relationship to the next i havent been single in 14 years. I probably need to take time for myself so i can be a better dad instead of being deppresed the resy of my life. I have no choice but to follow your advice but im concerned with being labeled as a lunitic. So much so i quit herion on my own when found out my girl was pregnet and nvr did it again. O well ill stop bothering you your probably busy. Thank you for you help and patients with all my complaining.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
I can see you love your children - a good dad. I also think you are strong and resilient as you quit heroin on your own.
You've overcome your addiction on your own! That's wonderful.
I really hope you try out counseling and a support group for yourself and your kids. You'll find a way to overcome this and get your life back.
Let me know if you have a question or feedback.
All the best,