How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Throughout my life, I (as anyone), have suffered through

Resolved Question:

Hello. Throughout my life, I (as anyone), have suffered through many things, both personally and vicariously. And I have always been pretty good at "pushing" these thoughts and memories and problems away. As long as I can remember, there has been this looming sense of depression and darkness shrouding my life (even back to early childhood) I have been on Prozac several times, but always tend to stop taking it because it just makes me feel worse eventually (possibly because it really does nothing to help). My stress levels are soaring these days, EVERYTHING just irritates me beyond belief. I hold it all inside, but lately I have been noticing I am losing control of my passive ways. There has also always been a suicide issue with me. Do not want it, but many times, it seems like the right way to go. So many times I have came close. I am pretty messed up. I know this. What would you recommend?Paying $400+ an hour to talk to a doctor is not my cup of tea. Never has been. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Have you experienced a major trauma in the past?
Are you close to your family or friends?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean by major trauma. But I can choose from the list of things that bother me. I was born with a cleft lip/cleft palate. Always bothered me, being different. Have witnessed several mind numbing events, a few are a car crashed right in front of me, tearing the car to shreds, leaving the driver shaking, broken and bleeding right in front of me when I was about 13. Kind of changed me a little. When I was younger, I was playing on my stepfathers pull up bar at the top of a doorway and fell 6 feet down to a hardwood floor and landed on my head, as far as physical trauma. Nothing major really I guess.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I can imagine how sad and anxious you must felt about your situation.
It sounds like you struggled with your physical condition and some anxiety provoking incidents, and a head injury.
You have had feelings of sadness and anxiety since childhood.
I wonder if you have a support system in your area now.
You shouldn't be alone. You should be with family, friends or other people. You may start seeing a counselor or join in a support group for young men or adults with similar issues.
First, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety.
You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling for a low fee or free of charge.
Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression, a number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.
Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for men or young adults in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including depression and anxiety.
Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.
Other recommendations are:
Avoid use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
If you don’t feel well and have suicidal thoughts, go to an emergency room of a local hospital. Or call your family or seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
I hope you don't give up and find a way to overcome this.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you