Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

What does it mean that most Picks patients die from

What does it mean that most Picks patients die from infections? What type of infections?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry about your sister contracting this rare brain disorder, similar to Alzheimer's Disease in its effects.

I worked with a gentleman with Picks, in a nursing home. I knew him for several years before he finally succumbed to pneumonia, which is the most common type of infection to strike down those who become generally weakened by their inability to care for themselves, and the general stress of the disease.

The average Picks patient endures for about seven years, although some patients can go on for ten years or more. The reasons for these differences are not fully known, but it is said that taking vitamin E (an antioxidant, known as tocopoherol) slows the rate of decline.and may even counteract the damage to the cells in the brain.

You have my deep sympathies.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC